Subject: bug#63644: closed (Re: bug#63644: 29.0.91; Coding system detection defect in html)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Mon, 22 May 2023 18:26:02 +0000

Your bug report

#63644: 29.0.91; Coding system detection defect in html

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
63644: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=63644
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#63644: 29.0.91; Coding system detection defect in html
From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
To: Ikumi Keita <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 22 May 2023 21:25:20 +0300
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

> From: Ikumi Keita <[email-masked]>
> cc: [email-masked]
> Comments: In-reply-to Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
>    message dated "Mon, 22 May 2023 19:04:02 +0300."
> Date: Tue, 23 May 2023 01:42:39 +0900
> 
> >>>>> Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:
> > Thanks.  Does the patch below give good results?
> 
> Yes. It returns `euc-jp' as expected.

Thanks, installed on the emacs-29 branch, and closing the bug.

Subject: 29.0.91; Coding system detection defect in html
From: Ikumi Keita <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 22 May 2023 22:59:23 +0900
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

The function `sgml-html-meta-auto-coding-function' signals error for html
file with legacy encoding specification.

0. Save the following file as /tmp/foo.html with the coding system `euc-jp':
----------------------------------------------------------------------
<!DOCTYPE html>
<html lang="ja">
<head>
<meta charset="EUC-JP">
<title>dummy</title>
</head>
<body>
あいうえお
</body></html>
----------------------------------------------------------------------
1. emacs -Q
2. C-x C-f /tmp/foo.html RET
3. M-: (sgml-html-meta-auto-coding-function 1000) RET
4. Then emacs signals error with the following backtrace:
Debugger entered--Lisp error: (coding-system-error iso-2022)
  coding-system-plist(iso-2022)
  coding-system-equal(utf-8 iso-2022)
  sgml-html-meta-auto-coding-function(1000)
  eval((sgml-html-meta-auto-coding-function 1000) t)
  eval-expression((sgml-html-meta-auto-coding-function 1000) nil nil 127)
  funcall-interactively(eval-expression (sgml-html-meta-auto-coding-function 1000) nil nil 127)
  call-interactively(eval-expression nil nil)
  command-execute(eval-expression)

It seems that this error is due to change in
`sgml-html-meta-auto-coding-function' introduced in emacs 27. When I use
emacs 26.1 definition of the function, it returns `euc-jp' as expected.

Regards,
Ikumi Keita
#StandWithUkraine #StopWarInUkraine

In GNU Emacs 29.0.91 (build 1, x86_64-unknown-freebsd13.2, GTK+ Version
 3.24.34, cairo version 1.17.4) of 2023-05-22 built on freebsd.vmware
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12101007
System Description: 13.2-RELEASE

Configured features:
ACL CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GNUTLS GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG JSON
LCMS2 LIBXML2 MODULES NOTIFY KQUEUE PDUMPER PNG RSVG SOUND SQLITE3
THREADS TIFF TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS WEBP X11 XDBE XIM XINPUT2 XPM GTK3 ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $EMACSLOADPATH: /home/keita/elisp:
  value of $LANG: ja_JP.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: HTML+

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  indent-tabs-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
/home/keita/elisp/reftex-parse hides /home/keita/scr/emacs-29.0.91/lisp/textmodes/reftex-parse

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message dired dired-loaddefs rfc822 mml
mml-sec epa derived epg rfc6068 epg-config mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode
mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047
rfc2045 ietf-drums debug backtrace find-func cl-extra pp cl-print
help-fns radix-tree help-mode yank-media mhtml-mode css-mode smie eww
xdg url-queue thingatpt shr pixel-fill kinsoku url-file svg xml
browse-url url url-proxy url-privacy url-expand url-methods url-history
url-cookie generate-lisp-file url-domsuf url-util url-parse auth-source
eieio eieio-core cl-macs password-cache url-vars mailcap puny mm-url
gnus nnheader gnus-util text-property-search time-date mail-utils range
wid-edit mm-util mail-prsvr color js c-ts-common treesit cl-seq json
subr-x map byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile imenu cc-mode cc-fonts
cc-guess cc-menus cc-cmds cc-styles cc-align cc-engine cc-vars cc-defs
sgml-mode facemenu dom cl-loaddefs cl-lib japan-util rmc iso-transl
tooltip cconv eldoc paren electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel term/x-win x-win term/common-win x-dnd
tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace
newcomment text-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar
rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock
font-lock syntax font-core term/tty-colors frame minibuffer nadvice seq
simple cl-generic indonesian philippine cham georgian utf-8-lang
misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms
cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian
cyrillic chinese composite emoji-zwj charscript charprop case-table
epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure cl-preloaded button
loaddefs theme-loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files window
text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule
custom widget keymap hashtable-print-readable backquote threads dbusbind
kqueue lcms2 dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting
cairo move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit xinput2 x multi-tty
make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 122445 10073)
 (symbols 48 12761 0)
 (strings 32 41719 1774)
 (string-bytes 1 1318626)
 (vectors 16 23622)
 (vector-slots 8 397515 14753)
 (floats 8 154 34)
 (intervals 56 350 0)
 (buffers 976 15))