Subject: bug#63634: nar 404 leads to hard ‘guix substitute’ crash

From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 May 2023 13:51:34 +0200

Christopher Baines <[email-masked]> skribis:

> Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]> writes:

[...]

>> BTW, ‘guix publish’ has provisions to not compress already-compressed
>> files, as in the case above.  We should really share code, Chris.
>
> I'm not sure if this is what you have in mind regarding code sharing,
> but I'll use compressed-file? from (guix utils) in the nar-herder to
> avoid generating cached compressions for these kind of files in the
> future.

Great, thank you.

Ideally we’d have a single ‘guix publish’ implementation, or at least
most of it would be a module shared by both ‘guix publish’ and
‘nar-herder’ because it’s tricky enough that we’d rather not have two of
them.  The (guix narinfo) module you introduced is a step in that
direction and as discussed earlier, we need to go further.

Ludo’.