Subject: bug#63633: Emacs becomes unresponsive when trying to ssh into localhost (MacOS)

From: Arteen Abrishami <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 May 2023 10:01:42 -0700

> On May 22, 2023, at 1:14 AM, Michael Albinus <[email-masked]> wrote:

Hi Michael,

> 
> --8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
> # emacs -Q --eval '(setq tramp-verbose 10)' /ssh:user@localhost#2222:/
> --8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8—
> 

Here’s the trace: 

‘''
  backtrace()
  tramp-error(nil quit "")
  tramp-signal-hook-function(quit nil)
  signal(quit nil)
  tramp-maybe-open-connection((tramp-file-name "ssh" "cs111" nil "localhost" "2222" "/" nil))
  tramp-send-command((tramp-file-name "ssh" "cs111" nil "localhost" "2222" "/" nil) "test 0 2>/dev/null; echo tramp_exit_status $?")
  tramp-send-command-and-check((tramp-file-name "ssh" "cs111" nil "localhost" "2222" "/" nil) "test 0")
  tramp-get-test-command((tramp-file-name "ssh" "cs111" nil "localhost" "2222" "/" nil))
  tramp-run-test((tramp-file-name "ssh" "cs111" nil "localhost" "2222" "/" nil) "-d" "/")
  tramp-sh-handle-file-directory-p("/ssh:cs111@localhost#2222:/")
  tramp-sh-file-name-handler(file-directory-p "/ssh:cs111@localhost#2222:/")
  apply(tramp-sh-file-name-handler file-directory-p "/ssh:cs111@localhost#2222:/")
  tramp-file-name-handler(file-directory-p "/ssh:cs111@localhost#2222:/")
  file-directory-p("/ssh:cs111@localhost#2222:/")
  find-file-noselect("/ssh:cs111@localhost#2222:/")
  command-line-1(("--eval" "(setq tramp-verbose 10)" "/ssh:cs111@localhost#2222:/"))
  command-line()
  normal-top-level()
‘''

I also confirmed that an ssh from my terminal outside of emacs works.