Subject: Re: bug#63629: 28.3; Emacsclient exits with no error message and breaks terminal when opening a file without permissions

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 21 May 2023 21:22:08 +0300

> From: Adam Ibrahim <[email-masked]>
> Date: Sun, 21 May 2023 14:08:50 -0400
> 
> when I use emacsclient on a file that I don't have permissions to open,
> two problems happen: the client exits without printing an error message
> so I have no idea what's going on, and then the terminal is broken. when
> I type into it, no keys are echoed back. though when I press enter
> whatever I typed in does get submitted to the shell.
> 
> Neither of these happens when I have emacsclient open up a graphical
> frame. I've tried these out with my emacs server run with `-Q`, so I've
> ruled out my configuration as a reason.

Please show the results of "ls -l" on this problematic file, and also
please show the exact emacsclient command you use which causes the
problem.

And what exactly do you mean by "the terminal is broken"? what doesn't
work afterwards and which terminal emulator is that?

(My guess is that emacsclient crashes, so perhaps try running it from
GDB, and see what that produces.)