Subject: bug#63629: closed (Re: bug#63629: Fwd: bug#63629: 28.3; Emacsclient exits with no error message and breaks terminal when opening a file without permissions)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Wed, 31 May 2023 13:21:02 +0000

Your bug report

#63629: 28.3; Emacsclient exits with no error message and breaks terminal when opening a file without permissions

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
63629: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=63629
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#63629: Fwd: bug#63629: 28.3; Emacsclient exits with no error message and breaks terminal when opening a file without permissions
From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 31 May 2023 16:20:54 +0300
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

> Cc: [email-masked]
> Date: Fri, 26 May 2023 13:29:38 +0300
> From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
> 
> > From: Adam Ibrahim <[email-masked]>
> > Date: Wed, 24 May 2023 08:08:13 -0400
> > Cc: [email-masked]
> > 
> > Makes sense. Thanks.
> 
> I eventually found a way of showing the error message in almost all
> cases, and installed the fix with those changes on the master branch.
> Please try the patch below and see if it produces better results.

No more comments, so I'm closing this bug.

Subject: 28.3; Emacsclient exits with no error message and breaks terminal when opening a file without permissions
From: Adam Ibrahim <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 21 May 2023 14:08:50 -0400
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

when I use emacsclient on a file that I don't have permissions to open,
two problems happen: the client exits without printing an error message
so I have no idea what's going on, and then the terminal is broken. when
I type into it, no keys are echoed back. though when I press enter
whatever I typed in does get submitted to the shell.

Neither of these happens when I have emacsclient open up a graphical
frame. I've tried these out with my emacs server run with `-Q`, so I've
ruled out my configuration as a reason.

In GNU Emacs 28.3 (build 1, aarch64-unknown-linux-android)
of 2023-02-27 built on localhost
Configured using:
'configure --disable-dependency-tracking
--prefix=/data/data/com.termux/files/usr
--libdir=/data/data/com.termux/files/usr/lib
--sbindir=/data/data/com.termux/files/usr/bin --disable-rpath
--disable-rpath-hack --host=aarch64-linux-android --disable-autodepend
--with-dumping=none --with-gif=no --with-gnutls --with-jpeg=no
--with-json --with-modules --with-pdumper=yes --with-png=no
--with-tiff=no --with-xml2 --with-xpm=no --without-dbus --without-gconf
--without-gsettings --without-lcms2 --without-selinux --without-x
emacs_cv_sanitize_address=yes emacs_cv_prog_cc_no_pie=no
ac_cv_lib_elf_elf_begin=no gl_cv_func_dup2_works=no
ac_cv_func_setrlimit=no --disable-nls --enable-shared --enable-static
--libexecdir=/data/data/com.termux/files/usr/libexec 'CFLAGS=
-fstack-protector-strong -Oz' 'CPPFLAGS=
-I/data/data/com.termux/files/usr/include'
'LDFLAGS=-L/data/data/com.termux/files/usr/lib
-Wl,-rpath=/data/data/com.termux/files/usr/lib -fopenmp -static-openmp
-Wl,--enable-new-dtags -Wl,--as-needed -Wl,-z,relro,-z,now''

Configured features:
GMP GNUTLS JSON LIBXML2 MODULES NOTIFY INOTIFY PDUMPER SECCOMP THREADS
XIM ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Dired by name

Minor modes in effect:
  which-key-mode: t
  diff-hl-dired-mode: t
  erc-truncate-mode: t
  erc-track-mode: t
  erc-spelling-mode: t
  global-flycheck-mode: t
  global-hl-todo-mode: t
  which-function-mode: t
  global-company-mode: t
  company-mode: t
  vertico-mode: t
  editorconfig-mode: t
  global-diff-hl-mode: t
  winner-mode: t
  global-undo-tree-mode: t
  global-anzu-mode: t
  anzu-mode: t
  projectile-mode: t
  volatile-highlights-mode: t
  global-hl-line-mode: t
  super-save-mode: t
  windmove-mode: t
  recentf-mode: t
  savehist-mode: t
  save-place-mode: t
  show-smartparens-global-mode: t
  global-auto-revert-mode: t
  delete-selection-mode: t
  prelude-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  global-display-line-numbers-mode: t
  display-line-numbers-mode: t
  override-global-mode: t
  xterm-mouse-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  size-indication-mode: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
/data/data/com.termux/files/home/.emacs.d/elpa/transient-20230501.1034/transient
hides /data/data/com.termux/files/usr/share/emacs/28.3/lisp/transient

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message rfc822 mml mml-sec epa derived
gnus-util rmail rmail-loaddefs mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mailabbrev
gmm-utils mailheader sendmail mail-utils cursor-sensor which-key
dired-aux vc-mtn vc-hg vc-git vc-bzr vc-src vc-sccs vc-svn vc-cvs vc-rcs
diff-hl-dired term/xterm xterm add-log server rainbow-mode
rainbow-delimiters elisp-slime-nav guru-mode prelude-modules prelude-erc
erc-truncate erc-track erc-match erc-autoaway erc-spelling erc-notify
erc-networks erc-log erc-goodies erc erc-backend erc-loaddefs
prelude-yaml prelude-xml nxml-mode-expansions rng-nxml rng-valid rng-loc
rng-uri rng-parse nxml-parse rng-match rng-dt rng-util rng-pttrn nxml-ns
nxml-mode nxml-outln nxml-rap html-mode-expansions sgml-mode facemenu
dom nxml-util nxml-enc xmltok prelude-web web-mode-expansions
smartparens-html web-mode disp-table prelude-shell sh-script smie
executable prelude-perl prelude-lsp lsp-ui lsp-ui-flycheck lsp-ui-doc
goto-addr lsp-ui-imenu lsp-ui-peek lsp-ui-sideline image lsp-mode
spinner network-stream puny nsm rmc smartparens-markdown markdown-mode
color lv inline f f-shortdoc shortdoc epg rfc6068 epg-config lsp-ui-util
face-remap lsp-protocol s ht prelude-js js2-mode-expansions js2-mode
js-mode-expansions smartparens-javascript js cc-mode-expansions
smartparens-c cc-mode cc-fonts cc-guess cc-menus cc-cmds cc-styles
cc-align cc-engine cc-vars cc-defs prelude-emacs-lisp prelude-lisp
prelude-css prelude-c prelude-programming flycheck hl-todo which-func
prelude-org org-habit org-agenda org-refile the-org-mode-expansions
org-element avl-tree smartparens-org org ob ob-tangle ob-ref ob-lob
ob-table ob-exp org-macro org-footnote org-src ob-comint org-pcomplete
org-list org-faces org-entities noutline outline org-version
ob-emacs-lisp ob-core ob-eval org-table oc-basic bibtex ol org-keys oc
org-compat org-macs org-loaddefs find-func cal-menu calendar
cal-loaddefs prelude-company company-oddmuse company-keywords
company-etags company-gtags company-dabbrev-code company-dabbrev
company-files company-clang company-capf company-cmake company-semantic
company-template company-bbdb company prelude-vertico orderless vertico
compat compat-29 prelude-linux exec-path-from-shell warnings
prelude-global-keybindings prelude-editor editorconfig editorconfig-core
editorconfig-core-handle editorconfig-fnmatch operate-on-number calc-bin
calc-ext calc calc-loaddefs calc-macs diff-hl smartrep log-view
pcvs-util vc-dir ewoc vc vc-dispatcher diff-mode fringe winner undo-tree
diff queue eshell esh-cmd esh-ext esh-opt esh-proc esh-io esh-arg
esh-module esh-groups esh-util re-builder whitespace tabify
browse-kill-ring midnight ediff ediff-merg ediff-mult ediff-wind
ediff-diff ediff-help ediff-init ediff-util dired-x dired dired-loaddefs
anzu avy projectile lisp-mnt mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045 mm-util
ietf-drums mail-prsvr grep compile ibuf-ext ibuffer ibuffer-loaddefs
bookmark text-property-search pp expand-region text-mode-expansions
er-basic-expansions expand-region-core expand-region-custom flyspell
ispell rect etags fileloop generator xref project volatile-highlights
hl-line super-save windmove recentf tree-widget wid-edit savehist
saveplace diminish smartparens-config smartparens-text smartparens
advice loadhist dash autorevert filenotify delsel prelude-mode edmacro
kmacro crux tramp tramp-loaddefs trampver tramp-integration files-x
tramp-compat shell pcomplete comint ansi-color ring parse-time iso8601
time-date ls-lisp format-spec thingatpt imenu-anywhere imenu
prelude-core epl prelude-ui misterioso-theme display-line-numbers
prelude-custom prelude-packages cl-extra help-mode use-package
use-package-ensure use-package-delight use-package-diminish
use-package-bind-key bind-key easy-mmode use-package-core finder-inf
xt-mouse regexp-opt rx pcase info tool-bar package browse-url url
url-proxy url-privacy url-expand url-methods url-history url-cookie
url-domsuf url-util mailcap url-handlers url-parse auth-source cl-seq
eieio eieio-core cl-macs eieio-loaddefs password-cache json subr-x map
url-vars seq byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile cconv cl-loaddefs cl-lib
iso-transl tooltip eldoc paren electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type elisp-mode tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode
lisp-mode prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch
easymenu timer select mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax font-core
term/tty-colors frame minibuffer cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang
misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms
cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian
cyrillic chinese composite emoji-zwj charscript charprop case-table
epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev obarray cl-preloaded nadvice
button loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files window text-properties
overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget
hashtable-print-readable backquote threads inotify multi-tty
make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 647720 209601)
(symbols 48 54050 77)
(strings 32 230059 27365)
(string-bytes 1 6714998)
(vectors 16 89242)
(vector-slots 8 900514 196184)
(floats 8 408 924)
(intervals 56 617 479)
(buffers 992 12))