Subject: Fwd: bug#63629: 28.3; Emacsclient exits with no error message and breaks terminal when opening a file without permissions

From: Adam Ibrahim <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 21 May 2023 14:57:03 -0400

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Adam Ibrahim <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, May 21, 2023, 14:48
Subject: Re: bug#63629: 28.3; Emacsclient exits with no error message and
breaks terminal when opening a file without permissions
To: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>

output of `ls -l`:

 ls -l no-perms
 ---------- 1 u0_a331 u0_a331 0 May 21 14:27 no-perms

commands used:

 emacs --fg-daemon -Q
 emacsclient no-perms # in a separate terminal

what stops working: when I type, the letters I type don't appear in the
terminal anymore. nothing is echoed back to me. stuff still happens, and I
can enter commands, but I can't see anything. And the terminal width seems
screwed up. like things that should get indented, they don't look right.

I've tried this on two terminal emulators: termux on Android and kitty on
my desktop running Linux. On termux the problems in the terminal are
consistent. and kitty, it happens sometimes. sometimes the terminal
continues to function like normal and I can see the keys I typed echoed
back to me, and sometimes not.

what happens when I try using GDB: I can only use GDB on my desktop right
now. when I try running `gdb emacsclient no-perms`, it prints an error
message: `/path/to/no-perms: Permission denied`. So whatever this problem
is, it doesn't show up in GDB on my desktop.

On Sun, May 21, 2023, 14:21 Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> wrote:

> > From: Adam Ibrahim <[email-masked]>
> > Date: Sun, 21 May 2023 14:08:50 -0400
> >
> > when I use emacsclient on a file that I don't have permissions to open,
> > two problems happen: the client exits without printing an error message
> > so I have no idea what's going on, and then the terminal is broken. when
> > I type into it, no keys are echoed back. though when I press enter
> > whatever I typed in does get submitted to the shell.
> >
> > Neither of these happens when I have emacsclient open up a graphical
> > frame. I've tried these out with my emacs server run with `-Q`, so I've
> > ruled out my configuration as a reason.
>
> Please show the results of "ls -l" on this problematic file, and also
> please show the exact emacsclient command you use which causes the
> problem.
>
> And what exactly do you mean by "the terminal is broken"? what doesn't
> work afterwards and which terminal emulator is that?
>
> (My guess is that emacsclient crashes, so perhaps try running it from
> GDB, and see what that produces.)
>