Subject: bug#63625: 29.0.90; package-install inserts package directory into load-path twice.

From: todd smith <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 20 May 2023 16:45:34 -0500

1) trash ~/.emacs.d     ;; i.e. remove .emacs.d (optional)

2) emacs -Q   (the -Q isn’t necessary,  I’ve observed the problem every way that I’ve started emacs)

3) in *scratch* buffer, type and execute "(package-insert ‘ack)”       (or run M-x package-install or install from M-x list-packages.
Any and every package I’ve installed produces the problem, ack is just easy to type)

4) C-h v  load-path    (that is, run describe-variable on load-path to see its value, note the first two entries)

Its value is
("/Users/todd/.emacs.d/elpa/ack-1.11" "/Users/todd/.emacs.d/elpa/ack-1.11/" "/opt/homebrew/Cellar/emacs-plus@29/29.0.60/share/emacs/29.0.90/lisp" "/opt/homebrew/Cellar/emacs-plus@29/29.0.60/share/emacs/29.0.90/lisp/vc" "/opt/homebrew/Cellar/emacs-plus@29/29.0.60/share/emacs/29.0.90/lisp/use-package" "/opt/homebrew/Cellar/emacs-plus@29/29.0.60/share/emacs/29.0.90/lisp/url" "/opt/homebrew/Cellar/emacs-plus@29/29.0.60/share/emacs/29.0.90/lisp/textmodes" "/opt/homebrew/Cellar/emacs-plus@29/29.0.60/share/emacs/29.0.90/lisp/progmodes" "/opt/homebrew/Cellar/emacs-plus@29/29.0.60/share/emacs/29.0.90/lisp/play" "/opt/homebrew/Cellar/emacs-plus@29/29.0.60/share/emacs/29.0.90/lisp/org" "/opt/homebrew/Cellar/emacs-plus@29/29.0.60/share/emacs/29.0.90/lisp/nxml" "/opt/homebrew/Cellar/emacs-plus@29/29.0.60/share/emacs/29.0.90/lisp/net" "/opt/homebrew/Cellar/emacs-plus@29/29.0.60/share/emacs/29.0.90/lisp/mh-e" "/opt/homebrew/Cellar/emacs-plus@29/29.0.60/share/emacs/29.0.90/lisp/mail" "/opt/homebrew/Cellar/emacs-plus@29/29.0.60/share/emacs/29.0.90/lisp/leim" "/opt/homebrew/Cellar/emacs-plus@29/29.0.60/share/emacs/29.0.90/lisp/language" "/opt/homebrew/Cellar/emacs-plus@29/29.0.60/share/emacs/29.0.90/lisp/international" "/opt/homebrew/Cellar/emacs-plus@29/29.0.60/share/emacs/29.0.90/lisp/image" "/opt/homebrew/Cellar/emacs-plus@29/29.0.60/share/emacs/29.0.90/lisp/gnus" "/opt/homebrew/Cellar/emacs-plus@29/29.0.60/share/emacs/29.0.90/lisp/eshell" "/opt/homebrew/Cellar/emacs-plus@29/29.0.60/share/emacs/29.0.90/lisp/erc" "/opt/homebrew/Cellar/emacs-plus@29/29.0.60/share/emacs/29.0.90/lisp/emulation" "/opt/homebrew/Cellar/emacs-plus@29/29.0.60/share/emacs/29.0.90/lisp/emacs-lisp" "/opt/homebrew/Cellar/emacs-plus@29/29.0.60/share/emacs/29.0.90/lisp/cedet" "/opt/homebrew/Cellar/emacs-plus@29/29.0.60/share/emacs/29.0.90/lisp/calendar" "/opt/homebrew/Cellar/emacs-plus@29/29.0.60/share/emacs/29.0.90/lisp/calc" "/opt/homebrew/Cellar/emacs-plus@29/29.0.60/share/emacs/29.0.90/lisp/obsolete")

5) Unlike Emacs 28, two entries for package ack have been
added to load-path (see the first two entries). These are both for the
same directory (one has a trailing "/" the other doesn’t, but both strings are equivalent paths to the directory for Emacs).

6) It doesn't matter how Emacs is started with differing command line
args. It doesn't matter if package-install is invoked with M-x in the
mini-buffer or (package-install ...) executed in the *scratch* buffer or
(use-package ... :ensure t) in an init.el file. It doesn't matter which
package is being installed. It doesn't matter how many packages are
installed. In all cases duplicate directory names are
added as entries to load-path for *every* package installed in
Emacs 29.0.90.

7) Thank You!

In GNU Emacs 29.0.90 (build 2, aarch64-apple-darwin22.4.0, NS
appkit-2299.50 Version 13.3.1 (Build 22E261)) of 2023-04-26 built on
firefly.local
System Description:  macOS 13.3.1

Configured using:
'configure --disable-dependency-tracking --disable-silent-rules
--enable-locallisppath=/opt/homebrew/share/emacs/site-lisp
--infodir=/opt/homebrew/Cellar/emacs-plus@29/29.0.60/share/info/emacs
--prefix=/opt/homebrew/Cellar/emacs-plus@29/29.0.60 --with-xml2
--with-gnutls --with-native-compilation --without-compress-install
--without-dbus --without-imagemagick --with-modules --with-rsvg
--without-pop --with-ns --disable-ns-self-contained 'CFLAGS=-Os -w
-pipe -mmacosx-version-min=13
-isysroot/Library/Developer/CommandLineTools/SDKs/MacOSX13.sdk
-DFD_SETSIZE=10000 -DDARWIN_UNLIMITED_SELECT'
'CPPFLAGS=-I/opt/homebrew/opt/zlib/include
-I/opt/homebrew/opt/jpeg/include -I/opt/homebrew/opt/readline/include
-I/opt/homebrew/opt/icu4c/include
-I/opt/homebrew/opt/[email-masked]/include -isystem/opt/homebrew/include
-F/opt/homebrew/Frameworks
-isysroot/Library/Developer/CommandLineTools/SDKs/MacOSX13.sdk'
'LDFLAGS=-L/opt/homebrew/opt/zlib/lib -L/opt/homebrew/opt/jpeg/lib
-L/opt/homebrew/opt/readline/lib -L/opt/homebrew/opt/icu4c/lib
-L/opt/homebrew/opt/[email-masked]/lib -L/opt/homebrew/lib
-F/opt/homebrew/Frameworks -Wl,-headerpad_max_install_names
-isysroot/Library/Developer/CommandLineTools/SDKs/MacOSX13.sdk''

Configured features:
ACL GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS JPEG JSON LCMS2 LIBXML2 MODULES NATIVE_COMP
NOTIFY KQUEUE NS PDUMPER PNG RSVG SQLITE3 THREADS TIFF
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS TREE_SITTER WEBP XIM ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  indent-tabs-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug cl-print help-fns pcomplete thingatpt
pcase compile comint ansi-osc ansi-color ring ack-autoloads loaddefs-gen
lisp-mnt radix-tree tar-mode arc-mode archive-mode cus-edit pp cus-start
cus-load wid-edit mm-archive message sendmail yank-media dired
dired-loaddefs rfc822 mml mml-sec epa derived gnus-util
text-property-search time-date mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader mm-decode
mm-bodies mm-encode mail-utils gnutls network-stream url-cache url-http
url-auth mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045 mm-util ietf-drums
mail-prsvr url-gw nsm puny epg rfc6068 epg-config finder-inf package
browse-url url url-proxy url-privacy url-expand url-methods url-history
url-cookie generate-lisp-file url-domsuf url-util mailcap url-handlers
url-parse auth-source eieio eieio-core password-cache json map url-vars
comp comp-cstr warnings icons subr-x rx cl-seq cl-macs cl-extra
help-mode cl-loaddefs cl-lib term/xterm xterm byte-opt gv bytecomp
byte-compile rmc iso-transl tooltip cconv eldoc paren electric uniquify
ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel term/ns-win ns-win
ucs-normalize mule-util term/common-win tool-bar dnd fontset image
regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode lisp-mode
prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu
timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax font-core
term/tty-colors frame minibuffer nadvice seq simple cl-generic
indonesian philippine cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese
tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek
romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
composite emoji-zwj charscript charprop case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure cl-preloaded button loaddefs
theme-loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files window text-properties
overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget keymap
hashtable-print-readable backquote threads kqueue cocoa ns lcms2
multi-tty make-network-process native-compile emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 209790 38117)
(symbols 48 12653 0)
(strings 32 60200 3226)
(string-bytes 1 1802843)
(vectors 16 34731)
(vector-slots 8 536516 26744)
(floats 8 74 494)
(intervals 56 424 0)
(buffers 984 15))
B