Subject: bug#63620: 30.0.50; [Feature Request] run hooks on sleep/wake

From: Andrew Cohen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 04 Feb 2025 21:38:53 +0800

>>>>> "EZ" == Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

    >> Cc: [email-masked] From: Andrew Cohen <[email-masked]>
    >> Date: Tue, 04 Feb 2025 11:19:55 +0800
    >> 
    >> I have not had much time for Emacs outside of my regular
    >> activities, but I made the changes you suggested and have been
    >> using the package for the past year. Unless I hear objections,
    >> I'll push the package to master sometime soon.

    EZ> Thanks, but could we perhaps implement this in a way that is
    EZ> less modeled on D-Bus, thus allowing different back-ends on
    EZ> other systems?  For example, could we have the D-Bus backend
    EZ> inject an input event, which could then be bound to a command,
    EZ> instead of directly calling the hooks from a D-Bus event
    EZ> handler?  That would allow adding other backend, which will
    EZ> generate the same input event "by other means".

    EZ> Stefan and Michael, I'd appreciate your comments, both on the
    EZ> patch and on my proposal.  Maybe you will have other, better
    EZ> design ideas.  (FWIW, I've read Michael's original comments in
    EZ> this bug report as saying things similar to what I say above.
    EZ> But either I misunderstood or the patch as posted doesn't do
    EZ> what Michael suggested back then.)

Thanks, I'm happy to make changes. I think I understand what you are
suggesting (and what Michael suggested earlier) and it is certainly
desirable to make this more independent of D-Bus. My programming skills
are extremely rudimentary so it might take some time (or I might fail
altogether).

Best,
Andy

-- 
Andrew Cohen