Subject: bug#63620: 30.0.50; [Feature Request] run hooks on sleep/wake

From: Andrew Cohen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 06 Feb 2025 20:20:18 +0800

>>>>> "MA" == Bug reports for GNU Emacs, the Swiss army knife of text editors <Michael> writes:

[...]

    MA> I'm against to touch the D-Bus code because of this. Unneeded
    MA> dependency.

    MA> I've assembled a POC patch (appended), which adds the
    MA> sleep-event special event to special-event-map, and which adds a
    MA> new function insert-special-event, all on C level. With this,
    MA> I'm able to eval in the *scratch* buffer

    MA> (defun sleep-handle-event (event) (declare (completion ignore))
    MA> (interactive "e") (message "Event arrived: %S" event))

    MA> (insert-special-event '(sleep-event t))

    MA> insert-special-event is not restricted to the sleep-event event,
    MA> but shall support all special events, finally.

    MA> Comments?

I personally like this approach (but what do I know?)

I would change the initial special-event-map binding to 'ignore, so that
nothing happens until sleep-wake-mode is activated. My current iteration
installs the handler in the keymap when the mode is activated and
sets it to 'ignore when its disabled.

I think the remaining big question is how to handle inhibiting sleep
until the sleep-wake code is finished. With dbus.el its straightforward
(although I still don't know how to close the file descriptor returned
from the dbus method in lisp; any help?) but I'm not sure what to do
with other systems. Somehow  sleep-wake-mode needs to communicate that
it is OK to release inhibition. I guess one way might be to mimic the
D-Bus method and include a file descriptor in the sleep-event that
blocks sleep until the fd is closed. But this seems kind of contrived.

Best,
Andy
-- 
Andrew Cohen