Subject: bug#63602: guix deploy verbose option

From: Artur Wroblewski <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 May 2023 23:06:47 +0100

Hi,

It would be great if verbose/debug option printed more useful information
when running "guix deploy".

At the moment, when deploying to a VM run with Qemu on my laptop (the same
with --debug=3)

    $ GUILE_LOAD_PATH=. guix deploy --verbosity=3 iotpx.scm
    The following 1 machine will be deployed:
    iotpx

    guix deploy: deploying to iotpx...
    guix deploy: warning: <machine-ssh-configuration> without a 'host-key' is deprecated
    guix deploy: error: failed to deploy iotpx: SSH connection to 'localhost' failed: Connection refused

It took me 2 days to figure this out... The problem was that the Qemu
forwarded SSH port over ipv4, but Guix was resolving localhost to ipv6
address. After replacing "localhost" with "127.0.0.1" in `iotpx.scm` file,
everything works like a charm.

IMHO, it would be great if "guix deploy" printed hostname, its ip address,
and SSH port. If not by default, then when verbosity/debug options are
specified.

Additionally, an option forcing Guix to use ipv4/ipv6 would be great as well.

Best regards,

Artur

--
https://mortgage.diy-labs.eu/