Subject: Re: bug#636: Please fix before the release of 23.1

From: Alan Mackenzie <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2008 09:24:55 +0000

Hi, Yidong!

On Mon, Aug 11, 2008 at 05:42:22PM -0400, Chong Yidong wrote:
> Alan Mackenzie <[email-masked]> writes:

> > The way I see it, it's a bug in `beginning-of-defun'.  The docstring
> > says that a non-nil `beginning-of-defun-function' finds the pertinent
> > place, but beginning-of-defun then moves point somewhere else.  I
> > HATE things that are ostensibly "helpful", but in reality are dumbing
> > down, and mainly just foul things up.

> This is part of the baggage in beginning-of-defun regarding whether
> column zero is the beginning of a defun.  Changing this now might be
> unwise, so for the moment I've simply revised the docstring of
> beginning-of-defun for extra clarity.

Thanks!

> I've also changed cc-defs.el to use beginning-of-defun-raw, which is a
> more direct and side-effect free test of beginning-of-defun-function,
> and added a save-excursion for extra plus safety ;-)

I've just added a bit to bind mark-ring, because BOD adds a mark.

I'm not actually convinced that using bod-raw is a good idea, since it
feels like using an internal interface (which we might want to refactor
away later).  But it's not that big a deal, so I've left it.

> [Also, closing bug#636.]

:-)

-- 
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).