Subject: bug#636: 23.0.60; Read syntax error while byte-compiling

From: Dmitry Dzhus <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 01 Aug 2008 11:43:43 +0400

The problem occurs when one tries to byte-compile a file with the
following contents (note the newline after `eval-when-compile`):

    (eval-when-compile
       (require 'cc-mode))

Using this command:

    emacs -q --batch -f batch-byte-compile file.el

Which fails with error:

    In toplevel form:
    test1.el:2:19:Error: Invalid read syntax: ")"

Visiting this file in Emacs and attempting to byte-compile it using the
`M-x byte-compile-file RET` command results in the same error being
shown in *Compile-Log* buffer.
    
In the same time, if there is no newline after `eval-when-compile`, e.g.

    (eval-when-compile (require 'cc-mode))

Byte-compiling proceeds successfully. The problem occurs only if one
requires `cc-mode`. Probably this is somehow related with `cc-bytecomp`
module.

In GNU Emacs 23.0.60.1 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.12.11)
 of 2008-07-30 on blizzard

Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version
 11.0.10402000

configured using `configure '--prefix=/usr' '--host=i686-pc-linux-gnu'
'--mandir=/usr/share/man' '--infodir=/usr/share/info'
'--datadir=/usr/share' '--sysconfdir=/etc' '--localstatedir=/var/lib'
'--program-suffix=-emacs-23' '--infodir=/usr/share/info/emacs-23'
'--without-carbon' '--with-sound' '--with-x'
'--with-toolkit-scroll-bars' '--with-gif' '--with-jpeg' '--with-png'
'--with-rsvg' '--with-tiff' '--with-xpm' '--enable-font-backend'
'--with-freetype' '--with-xft' '--without-libotf' '--without-m17n-flt'
'--with-x-toolkit=gtk' '--without-hesiod' '--without-kerberos'
'--without-kerberos5' '--with-gpm' '--with-dbus'
'--build=i686-pc-linux-gnu' 'build_alias=i686-pc-linux-gnu'
'host_alias=i686-pc-linux-gnu' 'CFLAGS=-O2 -march=native -pipe'
'LDFLAGS=-Wl,-O1''

Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: 
  value of $LC_COLLATE: nil
  value of $LC_CTYPE: nil
  value of $LC_MESSAGES: nil
  value of $LC_MONETARY: nil
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: C
  value of $LC_TIME: nil
  value of $LANG: ru_RU.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: nil
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix
  default-enable-multibyte-characters: t
-- 
Happy Hacking.

http://sphinx.net.ru
む