Subject: Re: bug#63589: [PATCH] 29.0.91; crash after creating graphical frames via emacsclient when compiled with cairo-xcb

From: Po Lu <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 May 2023 08:22:44 +0800

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

>> From: Po Lu <[email-masked]>
>> Cc: [email-masked],  [email-masked]
>> Date: Tue, 23 May 2023 21:18:04 +0800
>> 
>> Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:
>> 
>> > Then I don't understand your objections to the proposed patch.  Please
>> > elaborate.
>> 
>> Please see the other thread(s), where I explained in detail the two
>> problems with `gtk_init_check': upon success, it leaves two display
>> connections open, which is quite fragile, and upon failure, it makes
>> creating another display impossible, even if a display then becomes
>> available.
>
> I've read all those discussions in real time, and I still don't see
> the obvious connection.  So please humor me with a more detailed and
> complete explanation of why the last suggested patch somehow causes
> extra connections open.  And let me remind you that your objection,
> which is what caused my question, was
>
>> We want closing displays (think x-delete-terminal) to still work on such
>> builds if the user uses it.
>
> Which seems to be about _closing_ connections, not about opening too
> many of them.  It's the leap between the extra connections on the one
> hand and closing display not working OTOH that I cannot make.  Please
> help me fill the dots.

Nevermind, I got this thread mixed up with that of that of bug#63555...
What I was originally trying to explain was why closing displays can
still happen, even on toolkit builds: the user might call
`x-delete-terminal'.