Subject: Re: bug#63589: [PATCH] 29.0.91; crash after creating graphical frames via emacsclient when compiled with cairo-xcb

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 May 2023 09:10:49 +0300

> From: Po Lu <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked],  [email-masked]
> Date: Fri, 26 May 2023 08:23:19 +0800
> 
> Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
> > What bad things can happen (in the cairo-xcb build) if we don't delete
> > the terminal in all these cases?
> 
> In the former case, Emacs will never be able to close a display.

Why is this bad?  It isn't clean, I agree, but what problems would
this cause to Emacs and the user, and why is this worse than the
current situation where Emacs crashes?

> In the latter case, the display connection is forcibly deleted, and the
> same crash happens again.

But that evidently happens already with other toolkits, doesn't it?
So I guess these forced deletions are very rarely used.

(Btw, I hope I understood correctly what you mean by "former" and
"latter"; if not, please tell explicitly what they are, since the
citations above don't include any two cases to which this could
allude, so I needed to guess.)

> > We did.
> 
> OK, I will install this soon.

Thanks.