Subject: bug#6357: 24.0.50; initial text encoding disaster with NS variant Emacs.app on Mac OS X 10.5.8

From: Peter Dyballa <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 5 Jun 2010 17:21:39 +0200

Hello!

After 'make install' by super-user I launch as mortal user

	nextstep/Emacs.app/Contents/MacOS/Emacs -Q

This is fine. I save site-start.el under a different name and launch

	nextstep/Emacs.app/Contents/MacOS/Emacs -q

What I get looks quite like this:

(This buffer's contents looks almost right, the frame's title is  
correct, but *Messages* or *Buffer List* are a mess.) When I launch  
Emacs.app without parameter or by double-clicking on it or by using  
the open command, Emacs.app shows for long time these weird texts.  
Particularly error messages or warning (unsafe local variables,  
desktop file in use, etc.) cannot be understood. This state ends when  
the first frame is rebuilt to follow initial-frame-alist. From now on  
all texts are sane/OK.

This behaviour started already with GNU Emacs 23.1.50 – at least such  
an old version (powerpc-apple-darwin8.11.0, NS apple-appkit-824.48,  
2009-11-14, Windowing system distributor `Apple', version 10.3.949),  
built under Tiger, Mac OS X 10.4.11, shows this behaviour in Leopard,  
Mac OS X 10.5.8. I do seem to remember that I saw this scrambling in  
GNU Emacs 23.1.90 on Tiger. The X clients do not show this effect.  
Processor is PowerPC "G4" 7447A, i.e., big endian (intel/AMD are  
little endian).

In GNU Emacs 24.0.50.1 (powerpc-apple-darwin9.8.0, NS apple- 
appkit-949.54)
  of 2010-06-05 on Latsche.local
Windowing system distributor `Apple', version 10.3.949
configured using `configure  '--without-sound' '--without-dbus' '-- 
without-pop' '--without-gconf' '--with-ns' '--disable-ns-self- 
contained' '--x-libraries=/usr/X11/lib' '--x-includes=/usr/X11/ 
include' '--enable-locallisppath=/Library/Application Support/Emacs/ 
calendar24:/Library/Application Support/Emacs' 'CFLAGS=-g -H -Wno- 
pointer-sign -pipe -fPIC -fno-common -mcpu=7450 -mtune=7450 -faltivec - 
fast' 'CPPFLAGS=' 'LDFLAGS=' 'CC=gcc-4.2' 'CPP=cpp-4.2'  
'PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/sw/lib/pango-ft219/lib/pkgconfig:/sw/lib/xft2/lib/ 
pkgconfig:/sw/lib/fontconfig2/lib/pkgconfig:/sw/lib/freetype219/lib/ 
pkgconfig:/sw/lib/pkgconfig:/sw/share/pkgconfig:/usr/lib/pkgconfig:/ 
usr/X11/lib/pkgconfig:/usr/X11/share/pkgconfig''

Important settings:
   value of $LC_ALL: nil
   value of $LC_COLLATE: nil
   value of $LC_CTYPE: de_DE.UTF-8
   value of $LC_MESSAGES: nil
   value of $LC_MONETARY: nil
   value of $LC_NUMERIC: nil
   value of $LC_TIME: nil
   value of $LANG: de_DE.UTF-8
   value of $XMODIFIERS: nil
   locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix
   default enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Dired by name

Minor modes in effect:
   TeX-PDF-mode: t
   auto-revert-mode: t
   shell-dirtrack-mode: t
   diff-auto-refine-mode: t
   show-paren-mode: t
   display-time-mode: t
   desktop-save-mode: t
   delete-selection-mode: t
   tooltip-mode: t
   mouse-wheel-mode: t
   menu-bar-mode: t
   file-name-shadow-mode: t
   global-font-lock-mode: t
   font-lock-mode: t
   auto-composition-mode: t
   auto-encryption-mode: t
   auto-compression-mode: t
   column-number-mode: t
   line-number-mode: t
   transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:
<menu-bar> <help-menu> <send-emacs-bug-report>

--
Greetings

   Pete

Got Mole problems?
Call Avogadro 6.02 x 10^23