Subject: Re: bug#63569: 30.0.50; ERC 5.6: Add automatic nickname highlighting to ERC

From: "J.P." <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2023 12:06:46 -0800

"J.P." <[email-masked]> writes:

> A user on Libera requested some time ago that pool-creation facilities
> like the ones mentioned above be added to erc-nicks. The attached patch
> does this but in a simplified manner that avoids adding additional user
> options. Instead, it defaults to the "blind eye" approach mentioned
> above since (IMO) it's likeliest to meet user expectations.
>
> The patch also adds two ready-made Custom choice variants to the option
> `erc-nick-colors': `font-lock' and `ansi-color'. These are predefined
> sets of candidates for the (repeat string) :type variant. As may be
> obvious, ERC interprets these symbols as palettes to be populated from
> the :foreground colors of whatever font-lock- and ansi-color-related
> faces exist for the current theme.
>
> There's also a minor bug fix involving initialization ordering.

This has been installed as

  5baa0f61f8d * Offer alternate pool-creation strategies in erc-nicks