Subject: bug#63555: emacs 29 complains that it can't connect to the display

From: Phillip Susi <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 May 2023 10:09:59 -0400

Here is my build configuration:

In GNU Emacs 29.0.90 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version
 3.24.37, cairo version 1.17.8) of 2023-05-16 built on localhost
System Description: Gentoo Linux

Configured using:
 'configure --prefix=/usr --build=x86_64-pc-linux-gnu
 --host=x86_64-pc-linux-gnu --mandir=/usr/share/man
 --infodir=/usr/share/info --datadir=/usr/share --sysconfdir=/etc
 --localstatedir=/var/lib --datarootdir=/usr/share
 --disable-silent-rules --docdir=/usr/share/doc/emacs-29.0.90
 --htmldir=/usr/share/doc/emacs-29.0.90/html --libdir=/usr/lib64
 --program-suffix=-emacs-29-vcs --includedir=/usr/include/emacs-29-vcs
 --infodir=/usr/share/info/emacs-29-vcs --localstatedir=/var
 --enable-locallisppath=/etc/emacs:/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp
 --without-compress-install --without-hesiod --without-pop
 --with-file-notification=inotify --with-pdumper --enable-acl
 --with-dbus --with-modules --without-gameuser --with-libgmp --with-gpm
 --with-native-compilation=aot --without-json --without-kerberos
 --without-kerberos5 --with-lcms2 --without-xml2 --without-mailutils
 --without-selinux --without-sqlite3 --with-gnutls --with-libsystemd
 --with-threads --with-tree-sitter --without-wide-int --with-sound=alsa
 --with-zlib --with-pgtk --without-x --without-ns
 --with-toolkit-scroll-bars --without-gconf --without-gsettings
 --without-harfbuzz --without-libotf --without-m17n-flt
 --without-xwidgets --with-gif --with-jpeg --with-png --with-rsvg
 --with-tiff --without-webp --without-imagemagick --with-dumping=pdumper
 'CFLAGS=-march=native -O2 -pipe' 'LDFLAGS=-Wl,-O1 -Wl,--as-needed''

Configured features:
ACL CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GPM JPEG LCMS2 LIBSYSTEMD
MODULES NATIVE_COMP NOTIFY INOTIFY PDUMPER PGTK PNG RSVG SECCOMP SOUND
THREADS TIFF TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS TREE_SITTER XIM GTK3 ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: C.UTF8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix