Subject: bug#63536: Feature Request

From: Benjamin Riefenstahl <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 May 2023 15:36:10 +0200

Hi Eli,

Eli Zaretskii writes:
> So you want a command to check whether a newer Emacs is available?
> But where should this command look?  Many (most?) people install
> precompiled binaries prepared by their distros, and I assume those
> distros have their "check for updates" service or something?
>
> We could check on the GNU FTP site, but how many users will want to
> download and build Emacs from sources?
>
> What do other people think about this?

Since you asked for it ;-):

I dislike it when programs annoy me with dialog boxes like that at
startup.  I start a program because I want to do something that uses it,
not to maintain the program.

I use Debian and I like working with its package management.  It is
especially bad when programs tell me they have a new version, but the
package manager doesn't actually have it.

I also do not always want the latest version of any program in the first
place, as long as the current version still does what I want.

Regards, benny