Subject: bug#63536: Feature Request

From: Payas Relekar <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 May 2023 21:21:48 +0530

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

>> From: Payas Relekar <[email-masked]>
>> Cc: Andrew Goh <[email-masked]>,  [email-masked]
>> Date: Wed, 17 May 2023 19:34:06 +0530
>>
>> The idea itself is valid, as long as the update check happens only at
>> explicit user action. The command should only compare current version of
>> Emacs with the latest update and inform user about the difference. Then
>> the onus is on user to proceed with the update. Command output can point
>> them to relevant section of the manual, informing of ways to install
>> (and also update) Emacs.
>
> How will we know where to look?  That's the main technical issue with
> this, I think.
>

Sorry, I missed this in previous mail. Where do we look? GNU Emacs
stable release URL, of course. As long as the latest version available
upstream (FTP or the git branch directly) is higher than user's version,
we are good to report.

If the users see their package manager does not have the latest version,
that's a good motivation for reporting it there. But the wording should
be clear for the same.

--