Subject: bug#63531: [PATCH] View DICOM and Sixel images using image-convert

From: Daniel Mendler <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 21 Dec 2024 14:28:07 +0100

Antero Mejr <[email-masked]> writes:

> Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> Since these formats are not encumbered by patents and so on, I don't see
>> any reason why we can't support them.  It's always nice if stuff like
>> that works OOTB.
>>
>> So I think we should install these patches.
>
> I agree, both are popular formats so it would be good to support them.
> I did another check regarding the licenses, hopefully it will address
> the previous concerns.
>
> The DICOM standard committee website explicitly states:
> "No license is required to download or implement the DICOM Standard."
> https://www.dicomstandard.org/patent
>
> For Sixel, we already use the DEC VTxxx manuals for terminal emulation,
> see the "References" comment on line 2975 of term.el. The Sixel file
> format reference comes from the same sources.

I implemented the small dicom package which is available from GNU ELPA.
It can display DICOM images, leveraging the programs convert from
ImageMagick and dcm2xml from the dcmtk DICOM toolkit.

Daniel