Subject: Re: bug#63531: [PATCH] View DICOM and Sixel images using image-convert

From: Antero Mejr <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 02 Nov 2023 17:06:52 +0000

Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]> writes:

> Since these formats are not encumbered by patents and so on, I don't see
> any reason why we can't support them.  It's always nice if stuff like
> that works OOTB.
>
> So I think we should install these patches.

I agree, both are popular formats so it would be good to support them.
I did another check regarding the licenses, hopefully it will address
the previous concerns.

The DICOM standard committee website explicitly states:
"No license is required to download or implement the DICOM Standard."
https://www.dicomstandard.org/patent

For Sixel, we already use the DEC VTxxx manuals for terminal emulation,
see the "References" comment on line 2975 of term.el. The Sixel file
format reference comes from the same sources.

Thanks,
Antero