Subject: Re: bug#63521: Request for merging "tex-team" branch

From: Christopher Baines <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 May 2023 15:36:13 +0100

Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]> writes:

> Hi,
>
> Nicolas Goaziou <[email-masked]> skribis:
>
>> Christopher Baines <[email-masked]> writes:
>>
>>> While I realise that waiting to make changes is fustrating, I think it's
>>> important to try and build things before merging so that the effects are
>>> known. This is also good motivation to get more hardware helping to
>>> build things to speed up the process.
>>
>> I opened the issue because the "tex-team" branch was fully built on
>> CI, according to <https://ci.guix.gnu.org/eval/461653>.
>>
>> Should I have looked elsewhere before asking for the merge?
>
> Looking at <https://qa.guix.gnu.org/branch/tex-team>, there are 13 new
> failures on x86_64 (178 vs. 165), but I’m not sure what they are because
> the comparison page shows all the changed derivations (whereas we’d like
> to see new failures only).
>
> How can we get that info, Chris?

So, taking one step back, these numbers come from a comparison of
tex-team and the master branch, and while that sounds sensible, because
it's a comparison of the tips of those branches, I think some of what
you're seeing is breakages that have happened on the master branch but
after the last common commit.

> I did find one “new” failure on the comparison page but I can’t believe
> it’s related to changes in the branch:
>
>   https://data.qa.guix.gnu.org/gnu/store/a7898v4zq86vzn664g5xh0dq6s1p813k-ams-lv2-1.2.2.drv

Yeah, as I say above it's possible that this has been broken on master
and not tex-team.

I'll look at getting the comparisons to happen between revisions that
better isolate the changes on the branch, I might just initially ignore
the hard case where the "merge base" in the Git sense isn't know by the
data service.