Subject: Re: bug#63516: Static networking should wait for interfaces to be up

From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2023 23:53:27 +0200

Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]> skribis:

> Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]> skribis:
>
>> Before doing ‘addr-add’ in ‘network-set-up/linux’, should we wait for
>> the interface to show up, by calling ‘get-links’ from Guile-Netlink or
>> something like that?
>
> Below is a simple workaround.  How does that sound?
>
> A better fix would be to poll(2) on the underlying AF_NETLINK socket.
> In fact, we could also implement something like systemd’s
> ‘network-online.target’ by doing that.  For that we’d need Guile-Netlink
> to let us create SOCK_NONBLOCK sockets and to use real ports instead of
> raw file descriptors; Fibers would then take care of the rest.

Pushed the “better fix” as 26602f4063a6e0c626e8deb3423166bcd0abeb90,
building upon ‘wait-for-link’ from Guile-Netlink 1.2.

Thank you Julien for the Guile-Netlink release!

Ludo’.