Subject: [PATCH Guile-Netlink 00/11] Add 'wait-for-link' and related code

From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 May 2023 14:39:40 +0200

Hi Julien,

As a followup to <https://issues.guix.gnu.org/63516>, here is code that
lets us wait for a link to show up “the right way”—i.e., without polling.
It works over SOCK_NONBLOCK sockets, for use in Fibers programs.

I tested it in a VM created with ‘guix system vm’.  If the “ens3” device
is already there, (wait-for-link "ens3") returns immediately.  Then I
ran “rmmod e1000” to make the device disappear, and made another
(wait-for-link "ens3") call: that call returns once I’ve run “modprobe e1000”
in another terminal.  Wonderful.  :-)

Now, it would be good to have a test suite that can run without
complicated setups.  We should check the strategy used by libnl, systemd,
and the likes.

Thoughts?

Ludo’.

Ludovic Courtès (11):
  connection: Remove unused procedure.
  connection: Use Guile's 'socket' procedure to open a socket.
  connection: Throw upon errors in FFI bindings.
  connection: Add support for suspendable sockets.
  connection: Allow users to pass extra SOCK_ flags to 'socket'.
  link: Extract 'new-link-message->link'.
  addr: Extract 'new-address-message->address'.
  connection: Add 'add-socket-membership'.
  error: Add 'sub-type' field to '&netlink-decoder-error' and use it.
  doc: Add indexes.
  link: Add 'wait-for-link'.

 doc/guile-netlink.texi |  51 +++++++++++++++--
 ip/addr.scm            |  46 +++++++--------
 ip/link.scm            | 122 ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++---------
 ip/route.scm           |   6 +-
 netlink/connection.scm | 126 +++++++++++++++++++++++++++--------------
 netlink/constant.scm   |  40 +++++++++++++
 netlink/data.scm       |  13 +++--
 netlink/error.scm      |   4 +-
 8 files changed, 303 insertions(+), 105 deletions(-)

base-commit: beceb4cfea4739954e558411f46e07425891c774
-- 
2.40.1