Subject: [bug#63483] [PATCH v2 0/4] build: Update po4a process.

From: gemmaro <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 28 Apr 2024 17:55:13 +0900

Hello Florian Pelz and Julien Lepiller,

"pelzflorian (Florian Pelz)" <[email-masked]> writes:

> Thank you, gemmaro, for driving this necessary change.  It is a good
> idea to switch to the actual PO4A script that still gets updates by
> PO4A maintainers.
>
> You will have to coordinate with Julien Lepiller (added to Cc) who
> controls the Guix-translations repository. [1]

Thank you very much for telling me about the repository.  I also got an
idea of the translation flow in Guix using Weblate; Weblate refers to
and updates the PO files in the Guix-translations repository, and that
the PO files in the Guix.git cloned in it are updated by the Makefile.

> Guix-translations is the repository that Weblate has access to (because
> we do not want Weblate to push directly to Guix.git directly).  It will
> need your po4a.cfg and the same kind of Makefile updates.

The changes in revision 2 don't alter the location of PO files and the
scripts under the scripts directory.  I couldn't find additional changes
to the po4a.cfg and the Makefiles.

What do you think, Julien Lepiller?  If there are any changes that
should be made, I would appreciate it if you could correct me.

The po4a.cfg added by this change allows quite flexible specification of
file paths by passing variables (with po4a's "--variable key=value"
option.)  It would be therefore possible to make the Guix-translations
repository also use the integrated po4a program anytime.  The Texinfo
parser used by po4a (and po4a-* scripts) is the same before and after
the change, so there should be no side-effect on the PO files.

> In your original v1 patch, you had updated contributing.texi.
> contributing.texi is already out of date, but I believe we better update
> it at a later time when we can refer people adding new languages to
> prior commits where new languages have been added.
>
> Regards,
> Florian
>
> [1] https://framagit.org/tyreunom/guix-translations

When I was writing this, I noticed that I have transferred some
configuration to po4a.cfg and now there is one more place to specify the
languages (in the po4a_langs section.)  The documentation will need to
be updated in the future in this respect.

Regards,
gemmaro.