Subject: bug#6348: 24.0.50; delsel mode (or register insert) deletes text too soon.

From: Jan Djärv <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 04 Jun 2010 08:36:21 +0200

% emacs -Q
M-x delete-selection-mode <return>
C-x h C-x r i

Notice that the whole text is deleted when i is pressed.  If you then
press a key, say a, it states that register does not conatin text, which
is correct.  But the text of the buffer is deleted, even though
nothing replaced it.  Undo gets you the text back, but it is
inconvinient.

         Jan D.

If Emacs crashed, and you have the Emacs process in the gdb debugger,
please include the output from the following gdb commands:
     `bt full' and `xbacktrace'.
For information about debugging Emacs, please read the file
/opt/emacs-trunk/share/emacs/24.0.50/etc/DEBUG.

In GNU Emacs 24.0.50.1 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, X toolkit, Xaw3d scroll bars)
  of 2010-06-04 on f12.localdomain
Windowing system distributor `Fedora Project', version 11.0.10706000
configured using `configure  '--prefix=/opt/emacs-trunk' '--verbose' 
'--enable-asserts' '--with-x-toolkit=lucid' 'CFLAGS=-O2 -g''

Important settings:
   value of $LC_ALL: nil
   value of $LC_COLLATE: C
   value of $LC_CTYPE: nil
   value of $LC_MESSAGES: nil
   value of $LC_MONETARY: nil
   value of $LC_NUMERIC: nil
   value of $LC_TIME: nil
   value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
   value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=none
   locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix
   default enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
   delete-selection-mode: t
   tooltip-mode: t
   mouse-wheel-mode: t
   tool-bar-mode: t
   menu-bar-mode: t
   file-name-shadow-mode: t
   scroll-bar-mode: left
   global-font-lock-mode: t
   font-lock-mode: t
   blink-cursor-mode: t
   auto-composition-mode: t
   auto-encryption-mode: t
   auto-compression-mode: t
   line-number-mode: t
   transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:
<escape> x d e l e t e - s e l <tab> <return> C-x h
C-x r i a <escape> x r e p o r t - e m <tab> <retu
rn>

Recent messages:
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.
Delete-Selection mode enabled
Mark set [3 times]
insert-register: Register does not contain text

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort gnus-util mail-extr message sendmail regexp-opt rfc822 mml
easymenu mml-sec mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231
rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mailabbrev mail-utils
gmm-utils mailheader emacsbug cus-start cus-load delsel tooltip
ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel x-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd
fontset image fringe lisp-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer
select scroll-bar mldrag mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu
font-core frame cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan
thai tai-viet lao korean japanese hebrew greek romanian slovak czech
european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev loaddefs button minibuffer faces
cus-face files text-properties overlay md5 base64 format env code-pages
mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote
make-network-process dbusbind dynamic-setting system-font-setting
font-render-setting x-toolkit x multi-tty emacs)