Subject: Re: [PATCH] gnu: praat: Update to 6.3.10.

From: Juliana Sims <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2023 01:52:57 -0400

Hi Preston,

Would it be possible to split some of these changes into separate 
patches? For example, rewriting the style of the inputs field and 
removing the #t's could be in their own patch. Ideally any changes not 
strictly related to the update should be in a separate patch from the 
changes strictly necessary for the update, and each patch should 
contain one logically-related set of changes.

Related, were you able to fix the build of the old version? If so, 
could you commit that fix as the first in a patch series?

 > + ;; FIXME: Why doesn't this test pass?
It seems like this is answered later by
 > + ;; Run only the tests that don't require a GUI.
and if that's the case the first comment could be changed. Also, you 
can get X during build with xorg-server-for-tests as a native-input and 
a build stage like this one from the geary package defintion:
```
(add-before 'check 'setup-xvfb
  (lambda _
    (system "Xvfb :1 &")
    (setenv "DISPLAY" ":1")))
```
While I don't know that such an addition will resolve the failing test, 
it might be worth trying.

Everything else seems to look fine. You may want to run guix style -S 
arguments to port it to g-expressions while you're here, but I don't 
think that's strictly necessary, just preferred.

All the best,
Juli