Subject: Re: bug#63469: 29.0.90; project.el doesn't add menu-bar entries

From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 May 2023 10:38:49 +0200

Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]> writes:

> Hi Michael,

Hi Dmitry,

>>> Tramp often disables certain costly features (or Emacs packages
>>> provide options disable such features, when used remotely). This will
>>> need to be taken into account somehow.
>> Tramp is a library, and as such it is stupid. It shouldn't have an
>> opinion what's best suited for anybody.
>> IOW, it doesn't enables/disables features on its own. There are
>> configuration knobs Tramp follows, that's all.
>
> You can say that, but it's a relatively minor distinction. My point
> way, one should be on the lookout for potential performance problems.

We don't disagree :-) I just wanted to clarify the point.

> For example, we have the user option called enable-remote-dir-locals,
> which you added yourself. We might add a somewhat similar setting,
> though it's not obvious what to call it. Or, perhaps better, the user
> option which governs the addition of the new logic (off by default)
> would have a separate value which would mean "enable in remote buffers
> too".

Although I've added the user option, it isn't something restricted to
Tramp internals. If you want to use it in a broader sense (meaning more
different values), that's possible of course. We must respect backward
compatibility, of course.

Best regards, Michael.