Subject: Re: bug#63469: 29.0.90; project.el doesn't add menu-bar entries

From: Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 May 2023 04:10:23 +0300

On 23/05/2023 09:52, Juri Linkov wrote:
>> Still, I would like this feature.  And actually, the mention of VC makes
>> me realize: We already do something expensive by default for every new
>> buffer: Query the VC state.  So maybe it's not so bad to run
>> project-current every time we make a new buffer?  Or at least, in the
>> exact same situations that we query the VC state?  Maybe we can even
>> implement some sharing between the project-current lookup and the VC
>> state query, for the vc project backend?
> Sharing between vc and project would be nice.  If possible, this will
> allow a shorter modeline indicator that will combine vc and project like
> 
>    --- project-branch ---
> 
> where the project name replaces the vc-backend name.

That indeed sounds like something that should require specific 
configuration. There can be projects without a branch, or branches 
without "current project".

Or situations like the project root is not the vc root. E.g. when the 
current buffer is in a submodule (so the current branch is submodule's), 
and the project pertains to the parent repository.