Subject: bug#63469: 29.0.90; project.el doesn't add menu-bar entries

From: Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 May 2023 04:07:07 +0300

Hi Michael,

On 23/05/2023 16:57, Michael Albinus wrote:

>> Tramp often disables certain costly features (or Emacs packages
>> provide options disable such features, when used remotely). This will
>> need to be taken into account somehow.
> Tramp is a library, and as such it is stupid. It shouldn't have an
> opinion what's best suited for anybody.
> 
> IOW, it doesn't enables/disables features on its own. There are
> configuration knobs Tramp follows, that's all.

You can say that, but it's a relatively minor distinction. My point way, 
one should be on the lookout for potential performance problems.

For example, we have the user option called enable-remote-dir-locals, 
which you added yourself. We might add a somewhat similar setting, 
though it's not obvious what to call it. Or, perhaps better, the user 
option which governs the addition of the new logic (off by default) 
would have a separate value which would mean "enable in remote buffers too".