Subject: [bug#63459] [PATCH] doc: Rewrite the branching strategy.

From: Christopher Baines <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 May 2023 09:04:40 +0100

Christopher Baines <[email-masked]> writes:

> Move away from using staging and core-updates, and make the strategy
> independant of branch names.
>
> Keep the 300 dependent threshold for changes to master, as I don't have any
> specific reason to change this.
>
> Most importantly, require using guix-patches issues to coordinate merging of
> the branches, as I think that'll address the key issues that have shown up
> recently where it's been unclear which branch should be merged next.
>
> * doc/contributing.texi (Submitting Patches): Rewrite branching strategy.
> ---
>  doc/contributing.texi | 58 +++++++++++++++++--------------------------
>  1 file changed, 23 insertions(+), 35 deletions(-)

Following on from the discussion recently about moving away from staging
and core-updates, I've sent a patch to update the branching strategy.

The key thing is obviously to just remove mentions of staging and
core-updates, making the guidance more generic.

However, I've also added some requirements to use guix-patches issues to
track the intentions to merge branches, as I think that'll help address
some of the issues that came up recently with uncertainty around which
branch will be merged next.

I'm also hoping that these issues then can be used to automate the QA
process, triggering the qa-frontpage to automatically start building the
relevant branches.

Thanks,

Chris