Subject: [bug#63459] [PATCH v3] doc: Move and rewrite the branching strategy.

From: Christopher Baines <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 8 Jun 2023 15:23:28 +0100

Move away from using staging and core-updates, and make the strategy
independant of branch names.

Keep the 300 dependent threshold for changes to master, as I don't have any
specific reason to change this.

Most importantly, require using guix-patches issues to coordinate merging of
the branches, as I think that'll address the key issues that have shown up
recently where it's been unclear which branch should be merged next.

* doc/contributing.texi (Submitting Patches): Move the branching strategy to a
new Managing Patches and Branches section.
(Managing Patches and Branches): New section.
(Commit Policy): Simplify through referencing the new Managing Patches and
Branches section.

Signed-off-by: Christopher Baines <[email-masked]>
---
 doc/contributing.texi | 144 +++++++++++++++++++++---------------------
 doc/guix.texi         |  14 ++--
 2 files changed, 80 insertions(+), 78 deletions(-)

diff --git a/doc/contributing.texi b/doc/contributing.texi
index f692872c04..1581aa96a1 100644
--- a/doc/contributing.texi
+++ b/doc/contributing.texi
@@ -26,7 +26,7 @@ Contributing
 * Packaging Guidelines::        Growing the distribution.
 * Coding Style::                Hygiene of the contributor.
 * Submitting Patches::          Share your work.
-* Tracking Bugs and Patches::   Keeping it all organized.
+* Tracking Bugs and Changes::   Keeping it all organized.
 * Commit Access::               Pushing to the official repository.
 * Updating the Guix Package::   Updating the Guix package definition.
 * Writing Documentation::       Improving documentation in GNU Guix.
@@ -1161,11 +1161,11 @@ Submitting Patches
 at the section on commit access (@pxref{Commit Access}).
 
 This mailing list is backed by a Debbugs instance, which allows us to
-keep track of submissions (@pxref{Tracking Bugs and Patches}).  Each
-message sent to that mailing list gets a new tracking number assigned;
-people can then follow up on the submission by sending email to
-@code{@var{ISSUE_NUMBER}@@debbugs.gnu.org}, where @var{ISSUE_NUMBER} is
-the tracking number (@pxref{Sending a Patch Series}).
+keep track of submissions (@pxref{Tracking Bugs and Changes}).
+Each message sent to that mailing list gets a new tracking number
+assigned; people can then follow up on the submission by sending email
+to @code{@var{ISSUE_NUMBER}@@debbugs.gnu.org}, where @var{ISSUE_NUMBER}
+is the tracking number (@pxref{Sending a Patch Series}).
 
 Please write commit logs in the ChangeLog format (@pxref{Change Logs,,,
 standards, GNU Coding Standards}); you can check the commit history for
@@ -1257,48 +1257,9 @@ Submitting Patches
 the @code{texlive-tiny} package or @code{texlive-union} procedure instead.
 
 @item
-For important changes, check that dependent packages (if applicable) are
-not affected by the change; @code{guix refresh --list-dependent
-@var{package}} will help you do that (@pxref{Invoking guix refresh}).
-
-@c See <https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2016-10/msg00933.html>.
-@cindex branching strategy
-@cindex rebuild scheduling strategy
-Depending on the number of dependent packages and thus the amount of
-rebuilding induced, commits go to different branches, along these lines:
-
-@table @asis
-@item 300 dependent packages or less
-@code{master} branch (non-disruptive changes).
-
-@item between 300 and 1,800 dependent packages
-@code{staging} branch (non-disruptive changes).  This branch is intended
-to be merged in @code{master} every 6 weeks or so.  Topical changes
-(e.g., an update of the GNOME stack) can instead go to a specific branch
-(say, @code{gnome-updates}).  This branch is not expected to be
-buildable or usable until late in its development process.
-
-@item more than 1,800 dependent packages
-@code{core-updates} branch (may include major and potentially disruptive
-changes).  This branch is intended to be merged in @code{master} every
-6 months or so.  This branch is not expected to be buildable or usable
-until late in its development process.
-@end table
-
-All these branches are @uref{https://@value{SUBSTITUTE-SERVER-1},
-tracked by our build farm} and merged into @code{master} once
-everything has been successfully built.  This allows us to fix issues
-before they hit users, and to reduce the window during which pre-built
-binaries are not available.
-
-When we decide to start building the @code{staging} or
-@code{core-updates} branches, they will be forked and renamed with the
-suffix @code{-frozen}, at which time only bug fixes may be pushed to the
-frozen branches.  The @code{core-updates} and @code{staging} branches
-will remain open to accept patches for the next cycle.  Please ask on
-the mailing list or IRC if unsure where to place a patch.
-@c TODO: It would be good with badges on the website that tracks these
-@c branches.  Or maybe even a status page.
+Check that dependent packages (if applicable) are not affected by the
+change; @code{guix refresh --list-dependent @var{package}} will help you
+do that (@pxref{Invoking guix refresh}).
 
 @item
 @cindex determinism, of build processes
@@ -1574,16 +1535,17 @@ Teams
 [env]$ git send-email --to=@var{ISSUE_NUMBER}@@debbugs.gnu.org -2
 @end example
 
-@node Tracking Bugs and Patches
-@section Tracking Bugs and Patches
+@node Tracking Bugs and Changes
+@section Tracking Bugs and Changes
 
-This section describes how the Guix project tracks its bug reports and
-patch submissions.
+This section describes how the Guix project tracks its bug reports,
+patch submissions and topic branches.
 
 @menu
-* The Issue Tracker::           The official bug and patch tracker.
-* Debbugs User Interfaces::     Ways to interact with Debbugs.
-* Debbugs Usertags::            Tag reports with custom labels.
+* The Issue Tracker::             The official bug and patch tracker.
+* Managing Patches and Branches:: How changes to Guix are managed.
+* Debbugs User Interfaces::       Ways to interact with Debbugs.
+* Debbugs Usertags::              Tag reports with custom labels.
 @end menu
 
 @node The Issue Tracker
@@ -1600,6 +1562,55 @@ The Issue Tracker
 against the @code{guix-patches} package by sending email to
 @email{guix-patches@@gnu.org} (@pxref{Submitting Patches}).
 
+@node Managing Patches and Branches
+@subsection Managing Patches and Branches
+@cindex branching strategy
+@cindex rebuild scheduling strategy
+
+Changes should be posted to @email{guix-patches@@gnu.org}.  This mailing
+list fills the patch-tracking database (@pxref{The Issue Tracker}).  It
+also allows patches to be picked up and tested by the quality assurance
+tooling; the result of that testing eventually shows up on the dashboard
+at @indicateurl{https://qa.guix.gnu.org/issue/@var{ISSUE_NUMBER}}, where
+@var{ISSUE_NUMBER} is the number assigned by the issue tracker.  Leave
+time for a review, without committing anything.
+
+As an exception, some changes considered ``trivial'' or ``obvious'' may
+be pushed directly to the @code{master} branch.  This includes changes
+to fix typos and reverting commits that caused immediate problems.  This
+is subject to being adjusted, allowing individuals to commit directly on
+non-controversial changes on parts they’re familiar with.
+
+Changes which affect more than 300 dependent packages (@pxref{Invoking
+guix refresh}) should first be pushed to a topic branch other than
+@code{master}; the set of changes should be consistent---e.g., ``GNOME
+update'', ``NumPy update'', etc.  This allows for testing: the branch
+will automatically show up at
+@indicateurl{https://qa.guix.gnu.org/branch/@var{branch}}, with an
+indication of its build status on various platforms.
+
+To help coordinate the merging of branches, you must create a new
+guix-patches issue each time you wish to merge a branch (@pxref{The
+Issue Tracker}).  These issues indicate the order in which the branches
+should be merged, so take a look at the open issues for merging branches
+and mark the issue you create as @dfn{blocked} by the issue previously
+at the back of the queue@footnote{You can mark an issue as blocked by
+another by emailing @email{control@@debbugs.gnu.org} with the following
+line in the body of the email: @code{block XXXXX by YYYYY}. Where
+@code{XXXXX} is the number for the blocked issue, and @code{YYYYY} is
+the number for the issue blocking it.}.
+
+Normally branches will be merged in a ``first come, first merged''
+manner, tracked through the guix-patches issues.  If you agree on a
+different order with those involved, you can track this by updating
+which issues block which other issues.  Therefore, to know which branch
+is at the front of the queue, look for the issue which isn't blocked by
+any other branch merges.
+
+Once a branch is at the front of the queue, wait until sufficient time
+has passed for the build farms to have processed the changes, and for
+the necessary testing to have happened.
+
 @node Debbugs User Interfaces
 @subsection Debbugs User Interfaces
 
@@ -1816,23 +1827,14 @@ Commit Access
 (discussions of the policy can take place on
 @email{guix-devel@@gnu.org}).
 
-Changes should be posted to @email{guix-patches@@gnu.org}.  This mailing
-list fills the patch-tracking database (@pxref{Tracking Bugs and
-Patches}).  It also allows patches to be picked up and tested by the
-quality assurance tooling; the result of that testing eventually shows
-up on the dashboard at
-@indicateurl{https://qa.guix.gnu.org/issue/@var{ISSUE_NUMBER}}, where
-@var{ISSUE_NUMBER} is the number assigned by the issue tracker.  Leave
-time for a review, without committing anything (@pxref{Submitting
-Patches}).  If you didn’t receive any reply after one week (two weeks
-for more significant changes), and if you're confident, it's OK to
-commit.
+Ensure you're aware of how the changes should be handled
+(@pxref{Managing Patches and Branches}) prior to being pushed to the
+repository, especially for the @code{master} branch.
 
-As an exception, some changes considered ``trivial'' or ``obvious'' may
-be pushed directly.  This includes changes to fix typos and reverting
-commits that caused immediate problems.  This is subject to being
-adjusted, allowing individuals to commit directly on non-controversial
-changes on parts they’re familiar with.
+If you're committing and pushing your own changes, try and wait at least
+one week (two weeks for more significant changes) after you send them
+for review. After this, if no one else is available to review them and
+if you're confident about the changes, it's OK to commit.
 
 When pushing a commit on behalf of somebody else, please add a
 @code{Signed-off-by} line at the end of the commit log message---e.g.,
diff --git a/doc/guix.texi b/doc/guix.texi
index 01f4e0105f..83cbf004bb 100644
--- a/doc/guix.texi
+++ b/doc/guix.texi
@@ -637,18 +637,18 @@ GNU Distribution
 RYF Talos II mainboard}. This platform is available as a "technology
 preview": although it is supported, substitutes are not yet available
 from the build farm (@pxref{Substitutes}), and some packages may fail to
-build (@pxref{Tracking Bugs and Patches}).  That said, the Guix
+build (@pxref{Tracking Bugs and Changes}).  That said, the Guix
 community is actively working on improving this support, and now is a
 great time to try it and get involved!
 
 @item riscv64-linux
 little-endian 64-bit RISC-V processors, specifically RV64GC, and
-Linux-Libre kernel. This platform is available as a "technology preview":
-although it is supported, substitutes are not yet available from the
-build farm (@pxref{Substitutes}), and some packages may fail to build
-(@pxref{Tracking Bugs and Patches}).  That said, the Guix community is
-actively working on improving this support, and now is a great time to
-try it and get involved!
+Linux-Libre kernel. This platform is available as a "technology
+preview": although it is supported, substitutes are not yet available
+from the build farm (@pxref{Substitutes}), and some packages may fail to
+build (@pxref{Tracking Bugs and Changes}).  That said, the Guix
+community is actively working on improving this support, and now is a
+great time to try it and get involved!
 
 @end table

base-commit: 91454f54a4bf07030b51d718482416518ba5c9a7
prerequisite-patch-id: 0c60b9c48946553181183bd4a16611a27f6e62bf
-- 
2.40.1