Subject: bug#63451: Guix pull not successful

From: Simon Tournier <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 May 2023 13:37:52 +0200

Hi,

On Thu, 11 May 2023 at 13:03, a <[email-masked]> wrote:

> \Backtrace:
> In ice-9/boot-9.scm:
>    222:29 19 (map1 (#<syntax ((#<syntax lambda> (#<syntax x>) #<syntax x>)
> #<syntax:packages.scm:609:30 %supporte?> ?))
>    222:29 18 (map1 (#<syntax ((#<syntax lambda> (#<syntax x>) #<syntax x>)
> (#<syntax quote> ()))> #<syntax (#<syn?> ?))
>    222:17 17 (map1 (#<syntax (#<syntax:packages.scm:615:31
> sanitize-location> (#<syntax:packages.scm:614:22 curre?> ?))
> In ice-9/psyntax.scm:
> Exception thrown while printing backtrace:
> Wrong type to apply: 129
>
> ice-9/boot-9.scm:3165:6: In procedure module-gensym:
> Invalid read access of chars of wide string: "m-1bcbf699e1749862-28a08"
> guix pull: error: You found a bug: the program
> '/gnu/store/s2rl9h1zmxx84iyk25ndmn7rmy9508dj-compute-guix-derivation'
> failed to compute the derivation for Guix (version:
> "d6f6b57766e95d2fa8af63d4460a2b303ca4d867"; system: "x86_64-linux";
> host version: "1.4.0"; pull-version: 1).

Hum, I am not able to reproduce,

    guix time-machine --commit=v1.4.0                                 \
    -- time-machine --commit=d6f6b57766e95d2fa8af63d4460a2b303ca4d867 \
    -- help

passes.  What appears to me weird is the previous part:

> Authenticating channel 'guix', commits 9edb3f6 to d6f6b57 (667 new)

It means that you already have a checkout and some commits
authenticated.  Other said, you have already run “guix pull” and you
probably did “guix pull --commit=v.1.4.0”, no?

Well, can you share the output of “guix pull -l”?  It would not explain
why the Guile ’module-gensym’ failed though.

Cheers,
simon