Subject: bug#63428: closed (Re: bug#63428: 29.0.60; Octave Mode: Interacting with plots)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Sun, 09 Jun 2024 21:01:01 +0000

Your bug report

#63428: 29.0.60; Octave Mode: Interacting with plots

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
63428: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=63428
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#63428: 29.0.60; Octave Mode: Interacting with plots
From: Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]>
To: Leo Liu <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 9 Jun 2024 13:59:28 -0700
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]> writes:

> Leo Liu <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> On 2023-09-06 13:27 -0700, Stefan Kangas wrote:
>>>> Failure to do so results in the user not being able to interact with
>>>> generated graphs and figures with the mouse or keyboard. Which is very
>>>> frustrating!
>>
>> I failed to understand why --no-line-editing would interfere with
>> interaction with graphs. --no-line-editing is there because line editing
>> is provided for by emacs/comint.
>>
>> Are those graphs written to disk (and shown in emacs), or displayed in a
>> (GUI) popup?
>
> I noticed that the bug reporter wasn't copied into your reply, so I did
> that here.
>
>>
>>> Leo or John, could you perhaps comment on the above? Thanks in advance.
>>
>> -- Leo

More information was requested, but none was given within 6 months, so
I'm closing this bug.  If this is still an issue, please reply to this
email (use "Reply to all" in your email client) and we can reopen the
bug report.

Subject: 29.0.60; Octave Mode: Interacting with plots
From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 10 May 2023 16:56:01 -0400
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In /emacs/29.0.60/lisp/progmodes/octave.el line 658:

(defcustom inferior-octave-startup-args '("-i" 
"--no-line-editing")
  "List of command line arguments for the inferior Octave process.
For example, for suppressing the startup message and using 
`traditional'
mode, include \"-q\" and \"--traditional\"."
  :type '(repeat string)
  :version "24.4")

should instead pass the argument --line-editing, so:

(defcustom inferior-octave-startup-args '("-i" "--line-editing")
  "List of command line arguments for the inferior Octave process.
For example, for suppressing the startup message and using 
`traditional'
mode, include \"-q\" and \"--traditional\"."
  :type '(repeat string)
  :version "24.4")

Failure to do so results in the user not being able to interact 
with
generated graphs and figures with the mouse or keyboard. Which is 
very
frustrating!

-Will
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In GNU Emacs 29.0.60 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version
 3.24.37, cairo version 1.17.8) of 2023-04-02 built on vren
Repository revision: 82d0b6c64eaaa5d7de2bb0653cec60fabada5643
Repository branch: makepkg
System Description: Arch Linux

Configured using:
 'configure --prefix=/usr --sysconfdir=/etc --libexecdir=/usr/lib
 --localstatedir=/var --mandir=/usr/share/man 
 --with-gameuser=:games
 --with-modules --without-libotf --without-m17n-flt 
 --without-gconf
 --with-native-compilation=yes --with-xinput2 --with-pgtk
 --without-xaw3d --with-sound=no --with-tree-sitter --without-gpm
 --without-compress-install
 '--program-transform-name=s/\([ec]tags\)/\1.emacs/'
 'CFLAGS=-march=x86-64 -mtune=generic -O2 -pipe -fno-plt 
 -fexceptions
 -Wp,-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2 -Wformat -Werror=format-security
 -fstack-clash-protection -fcf-protection'
 LDFLAGS=-Wl,-O1,--sort-common,--as-needed,-z,relro,-z,now'

Configured features:
ACL CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ 
JPEG JSON
LCMS2 LIBSYSTEMD LIBXML2 MODULES NATIVE_COMP NOTIFY INOTIFY 
PDUMPER PGTK
PNG RSVG SECCOMP SQLITE3 THREADS TIFF TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS 
TREE_SITTER
WEBP XIM GTK3 ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: ELisp/l

Minor modes in effect:
  paredit-mode: t
  org-roam-db-autosync-mode: t
  which-key-mode: t
  doom-modeline-mode: t
  smartparens-mode: t
  clean-aindent-mode: t
  rainbow-delimiters-mode: t
  yafolding-mode: t
  global-semantic-idle-scheduler-mode: t
  global-semanticdb-minor-mode: t
  semantic-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  TeX-PDF-mode: t
  ivy-prescient-mode: t
  prescient-persist-mode: t
  counsel-mode: t
  ivy-rich-mode: t
  ivy-mode: t
  override-global-mode: t
  global-display-line-numbers-mode: t
  display-line-numbers-mode: t
  auto-complete-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  prettify-symbols-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  global-visual-line-mode: t
  visual-line-mode: t
  indent-tabs-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
/home/will/.quicklisp/dists/quicklisp/software/slime-v2.28/slime 
hides /home/will/.emacs.d/elpa/slime-20230314.915/slime
/home/will/.quicklisp/dists/quicklisp/software/slime-v2.28/slime-tests 
hides /home/will/.emacs.d/elpa/slime-20230314.915/slime-tests
/home/will/.quicklisp/dists/quicklisp/software/slime-v2.28/slime-autoloads 
hides /home/will/.emacs.d/elpa/slime-20230314.915/slime-autoloads
/home/will/.emacs.d/elpa/cmake-mode-20230404.1329/cmake-mode hides 
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/cmake-mode
/home/will/.emacs.d/elpa/transient-20230315.1520/transient hides 
/usr/share/emacs/29.0.60/lisp/transient
/home/will/.emacs.d/elpa/use-package-20230203.2004/use-package 
hides /usr/share/emacs/29.0.60/lisp/use-package/use-package
/home/will/.emacs.d/elpa/use-package-20230203.2004/use-package-diminish 
hides 
/usr/share/emacs/29.0.60/lisp/use-package/use-package-diminish
/home/will/.emacs.d/elpa/use-package-20230203.2004/use-package-jump 
hides /usr/share/emacs/29.0.60/lisp/use-package/use-package-jump
/home/will/.emacs.d/elpa/use-package-20230203.2004/use-package-bind-key 
hides 
/usr/share/emacs/29.0.60/lisp/use-package/use-package-bind-key
/home/will/.emacs.d/elpa/bind-key-20230203.2004/bind-key hides 
/usr/share/emacs/29.0.60/lisp/use-package/bind-key
/home/will/.emacs.d/elpa/use-package-20230203.2004/use-package-core 
hides /usr/share/emacs/29.0.60/lisp/use-package/use-package-core
/home/will/.emacs.d/elpa/use-package-20230203.2004/use-package-lint 
hides /usr/share/emacs/29.0.60/lisp/use-package/use-package-lint
/home/will/.emacs.d/elpa/use-package-20230203.2004/use-package-ensure 
hides /usr/share/emacs/29.0.60/lisp/use-package/use-package-ensure
/home/will/.emacs.d/elpa/use-package-20230203.2004/use-package-delight 
hides 
/usr/share/emacs/29.0.60/lisp/use-package/use-package-delight

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug facemenu two-column paredit 
org-roam-ui
org-roam-dailies org-roam-protocol org-protocol org-roam-migrate
org-roam-log org-roam-mode org-roam-capture org-roam-id 
org-roam-node
org-roam-db emacsql-sqlite-builtin sqlite org-roam-utils 
org-roam-compat
org-roam org-capture org-attach emacsql-sqlite 
emacsql-sqlite-common
emacsql emacsql-compiler magit-section simple-httpd amx octave 
smie
tramp tramp-loaddefs trampver tramp-integration files-x 
tramp-compat
ls-lisp pulse which-key all-the-icons-dired dired-aux
dired-hide-dotfiles org-indent org-bullets image-file 
image-converter
oc-basic disp-table ol-eww eww ol-rmail ol-mhe ol-irc ol-info 
ol-gnus
nnselect gnus-art mm-uu mml2015 mm-view mml-smime smime gnutls dig
gnus-sum gnus-group gnus-undo gnus-start gnus-dbus gnus-cloud 
nnimap
nnmail mail-source utf7 nnoo parse-time gnus-spec gnus-int 
gnus-range
gnus-win ol-docview doc-view filenotify ol-bibtex bibtex iso8601 
ol-bbdb
ol-w3m ol-doi org-link-doi doom-modeline doom-modeline-segments
doom-modeline-env doom-modeline-core shrink-path f f-shortdoc 
slime-asdf
grep slime-quicklisp smartparens-config smartparens-rst
smartparens-markdown smartparens-org smartparens-text 
smartparens-python
smartparens-latex smartparens-c smartparens loadhist slime-fancy
slime-indentation slime-cl-indent cl-indent slime-trace-dialog
slime-fontifying-fu slime-package-fu slime-references
slime-compiler-notes-tree slime-scratch slime-presentations bridge
slime-macrostep macrostep slime-mdot-fu slime-enclosing-context
slime-fuzzy slime-fancy-trace slime-fancy-inspector slime-c-p-c
slime-editing-commands slime-autodoc slime-repl slime-parse slime
apropos etags fileloop arc-mode archive-mode hyperspec smtpmail
elfeed-goodies-logging elfeed-goodies-new-entry-hooks mm-url gnus
nnheader range elfeed-goodies-split-pane popwin 
elfeed-goodies-show-mode
link-hint ffap goto-addr avy elfeed-goodies-search-mode powerline
powerline-separators powerline-themes elfeed-goodies elfeed-show
elfeed-search vc-git diff-mode vc-dispatcher clean-aindent-mode
rainbow-delimiters yafolding message sendmail yank-media rfc822 
mml
mml-sec epa derived epg rfc6068 epg-config gnus-util mm-decode 
mm-bodies
mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045 mm-util ietf-drums
mail-prsvr mailabbrev mail-utils gmm-utils mailheader shr 
pixel-fill
kinsoku puny svg dom elfeed-csv elfeed elfeed-curl elfeed-log 
elfeed-db
elfeed-lib url-queue url-file xml-query all-the-icons-ibuffer 
ibuffer
ibuffer-loaddefs bash-completion math-symbol-lists djvu mpv valign
pdf-tools cus-edit cus-load wid-edit pdf-view bookmark jka-compr
pdf-cache pdf-info tq pdf-util pdf-macs image-mode exif 
semantic/idle
semantic/analyze semantic/sort semantic/scope semantic/analyze/fcn
semantic/format semantic/tag-ls semantic/find semantic/ctxt
semantic/db-mode semantic/db eieio-base semantic/util-modes
semantic/util semantic pp semantic/tag semantic/lex semantic/fw
mode-local cedet with-editor cpp-auto-include cmake-ide s 
levenshtein
find-file cmake-font-lock cmake-mode rst cpputils-cmake spice-mode 
imenu
speedbar ezimage dframe skeleton flycheck ac-ispell websocket 
bindat
org-drill persist org-tempo tempo ob-spice ob-shell shell ob-R
ob-makefile ob-C cc-mode cc-fonts cc-guess cc-menus cc-cmds 
cc-styles
cc-align cc-engine cc-vars cc-defs ob-latex ob-matlab ob-sqlite
ob-octave ob-sql ob-python python treesit org-tree-slide 
face-remap
org-timer org-clock org-habit org-agenda org-element org-persist 
org-id
avl-tree generator org-refile org ob ob-tangle ob-ref ob-lob 
ob-table
ob-exp org-macro org-src ob-comint org-pcomplete pcomplete 
org-list
org-footnote org-faces org-entities noutline outline ob-emacs-lisp
ob-core ob-eval org-cycle org-table ol org-fold org-fold-core 
org-keys
oc org-loaddefs find-func org-version org-compat org-macs 
format-spec
auctex-latexmk latex latex-flymake flymake-proc flymake thingatpt
tex-ispell tex-style tex dbus xml crm texmathp auctex 
visual-fill-column
all-the-icons-ivy-rich doom-palenight-theme doom-themes 
doom-themes-base
all-the-icons all-the-icons-faces data-material data-weathericons
data-octicons data-fileicons data-faicons data-alltheicons ivy-fuz 
fuz
fuz-extra inline fuzzy advice ivy-prescient prescient char-fold 
counsel
xdg xref project dired dired-loaddefs compile text-property-search
comint ansi-osc ansi-color ivy-rich swiper flyspell-correct-ivy 
ivy
delsel ring ivy-faces ivy-overlay colir color flyspell-correct 
flyspell
ispell server no-littering compat diary-lib diary-loaddefs 
cal-menu
calendar cal-loaddefs time-date auto-package-update dash 
use-package
use-package-ensure use-package-delight use-package-diminish
use-package-bind-key bind-key easy-mmode use-package-core 
finder-inf
display-line-numbers comp comp-cstr warnings icons rx cl-extra 
help-mode
vertico-posframe-autoloads doom-modeline-autoloads
all-the-icons-ivy-rich-autoloads treemacs-autoloads 
posframe-autoloads
vertico-autoloads forge-autoloads closql-autoloads 
org-gcal-autoloads
request-deferred-autoloads elnode-autoloads no-littering-autoloads
magit-autoloads pcase creole-autoloads counsel-autoloads
swiper-autoloads helpful-autoloads tex-site fakir-autoloads
lsp-mode-autoloads bash-completion-autoloads vterm-autoloads
slime-company-autoloads ac-slime-autoloads slime-autoloads
macrostep-autoloads pdf-tools-autoloads markdown-mode-autoloads
link-hint-autoloads all-the-icons-ibuffer-autoloads db-autoloads
kv-autoloads cmake-mode-autoloads deferred-autoloads 
emacsql-autoloads
ac-octave-autoloads auto-complete edmacro kmacro popup 
noflet-autoloads
elisp-refs-autoloads aio-autoloads ivy-autoloads web-autoloads
dash-autoloads request-autoloads info company-autoloads 
amx-autoloads
package browse-url url url-proxy url-privacy url-expand 
url-methods
url-history url-cookie generate-lisp-file url-domsuf url-util 
mailcap
url-handlers url-parse auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core cl-macs
password-cache json subr-x map byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile
url-vars cl-loaddefs cl-lib rmc iso-transl tooltip cconv eldoc 
paren
electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type elisp-mode 
mwheel
term/pgtk-win pgtk-win term/common-win pgtk-dnd tool-bar dnd 
fontset
image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment 
text-mode
lisp-mode prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow 
isearch
easymenu timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax
font-core term/tty-colors frame minibuffer nadvice seq simple 
cl-generic
indonesian philippine cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang 
vietnamese
tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew 
greek
romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
composite emoji-zwj charscript charprop case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure cl-preloaded button 
loaddefs
theme-loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files window 
text-properties
overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget 
keymap
hashtable-print-readable backquote threads dbusbind inotify
dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting cairo gtk 
pgtk
lcms2 multi-tty make-network-process native-compile emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 1262588 442425)
 (symbols 48 60032 0)
 (strings 32 293511 60137)
 (string-bytes 1 8602290)
 (vectors 16 99199)
 (vector-slots 8 1855647 572231)
 (floats 8 2848 2073)
 (intervals 56 58102 16962)
 (buffers 984 25))