Subject: Re: bug#63427: gdk-pixbuf unable to recognize image formats (JPG, PNG, etc.)

From: Nathan Dehnel <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 May 2023 16:22:08 -0500

Installing gdk-pixbuf and rebooting didn't fix the issue:

viewnior '/home/nathan/Downloads/from-phone/Pictures/Screenshots/Screenshot_20230509-183317_F-Droid.png'

(viewnior:2482): Gtk-WARNING **: 16:14:57.820: Unable to locate theme
engine in module_path: "adwaita",

(viewnior:2482): Gtk-WARNING **: 16:14:57.822: Unable to locate theme
engine in module_path: "adwaita",
/gnu/store/5h2w4qi9hk1qzzgi1w83220ydslinr4s-glibc-2.33/lib/libc.so.6:
version `GLIBC_2.34' not found (required by
/gnu/store/yr4lbvdyc4dgs76yij1dw2w2z8s84af8-gnutls-3.7.7/lib/libgnutls.so.30)
Failed to load module:
/home/nathan/.guix-profile/lib/gio/modules/libgiognutls.so
/gnu/store/5h2w4qi9hk1qzzgi1w83220ydslinr4s-glibc-2.33/lib/libc.so.6:
version `GLIBC_2.34' not found (required by
/gnu/store/8sfnwc672lswqgkf9g5qv7r5247jyipp-libproxy-0.4.17/lib/libproxy.so.1)
Failed to load module:
/home/nathan/.guix-profile/lib/gio/modules/libgiolibproxy.so

** (viewnior:2482): WARNING **: 16:14:57.853: Pixbuf theme: Cannot
load pixmap file
/run/current-system/profile/share/themes/Adwaita-dark/gtk-2.0/assets/line.png:
Couldn’t recognize the image file format for file
“/run/current-system/profile/share/themes/Adwaita-dark/gtk-2.0/assets/line.png”

(viewnior:2482): GdkPixbuf-CRITICAL **: 16:14:57.853:
gdk_pixbuf_get_width: assertion 'GDK_IS_PIXBUF (pixbuf)' failed

(viewnior:2482): GdkPixbuf-CRITICAL **: 16:14:57.853:
gdk_pixbuf_get_height: assertion 'GDK_IS_PIXBUF (pixbuf)' failed

** (viewnior:2482): WARNING **: 16:14:57.853: Invalid borders
specified for theme pixmap:
        /run/current-system/profile/share/themes/Adwaita-dark/gtk-2.0/assets/line.png,
borders don't fit within the image

(viewnior:2482): GdkPixbuf-CRITICAL **: 16:14:57.853:
gdk_pixbuf_get_n_channels: assertion 'GDK_IS_PIXBUF (pixbuf)' failed

(viewnior:2482): GdkPixbuf-CRITICAL **: 16:14:57.853:
gdk_pixbuf_get_pixels_with_length: assertion 'GDK_IS_PIXBUF (pixbuf)'
failed

(viewnior:2482): GdkPixbuf-CRITICAL **: 16:14:57.853:
gdk_pixbuf_get_rowstride: assertion 'GDK_IS_PIXBUF (pixbuf)' failed

(viewnior:2482): GdkPixbuf-CRITICAL **: 16:14:57.853:
gdk_pixbuf_get_n_channels: assertion 'GDK_IS_PIXBUF (pixbuf)' failed

(viewnior:2482): GdkPixbuf-CRITICAL **: 16:14:57.853:
gdk_pixbuf_get_pixels_with_length: assertion 'GDK_IS_PIXBUF (pixbuf)'
failed

(viewnior:2482): GdkPixbuf-CRITICAL **: 16:14:57.853:
gdk_pixbuf_get_rowstride: assertion 'GDK_IS_PIXBUF (pixbuf)' failed

(viewnior:2482): GdkPixbuf-CRITICAL **: 16:14:57.853:
gdk_pixbuf_get_n_channels: assertion 'GDK_IS_PIXBUF (pixbuf)' failed

(viewnior:2482): GdkPixbuf-CRITICAL **: 16:14:57.853:
gdk_pixbuf_get_pixels_with_length: assertion 'GDK_IS_PIXBUF (pixbuf)'
failed

(viewnior:2482): GdkPixbuf-CRITICAL **: 16:14:57.853:
gdk_pixbuf_get_rowstride: assertion 'GDK_IS_PIXBUF (pixbuf)' failed

(viewnior:2482): GdkPixbuf-CRITICAL **: 16:14:57.853:
gdk_pixbuf_get_n_channels: assertion 'GDK_IS_PIXBUF (pixbuf)' failed

(viewnior:2482): GdkPixbuf-CRITICAL **: 16:14:57.853:
gdk_pixbuf_get_pixels_with_length: assertion 'GDK_IS_PIXBUF (pixbuf)'
failed

(viewnior:2482): GdkPixbuf-CRITICAL **: 16:14:57.853:
gdk_pixbuf_get_rowstride: assertion 'GDK_IS_PIXBUF (pixbuf)' failed

(viewnior:2482): GdkPixbuf-CRITICAL **: 16:14:57.853:
gdk_pixbuf_get_n_channels: assertion 'GDK_IS_PIXBUF (pixbuf)' failed

(viewnior:2482): GdkPixbuf-CRITICAL **: 16:14:57.853:
gdk_pixbuf_get_pixels_with_length: assertion 'GDK_IS_PIXBUF (pixbuf)'
failed

(viewnior:2482): GdkPixbuf-CRITICAL **: 16:14:57.853:
gdk_pixbuf_get_rowstride: assertion 'GDK_IS_PIXBUF (pixbuf)' failed

(viewnior:2482): GdkPixbuf-CRITICAL **: 16:14:57.853:
gdk_pixbuf_get_n_channels: assertion 'GDK_IS_PIXBUF (pixbuf)' failed

(viewnior:2482): GdkPixbuf-CRITICAL **: 16:14:57.853:
gdk_pixbuf_get_pixels_with_length: assertion 'GDK_IS_PIXBUF (pixbuf)'
failed

(viewnior:2482): GdkPixbuf-CRITICAL **: 16:14:57.853:
gdk_pixbuf_get_rowstride: assertion 'GDK_IS_PIXBUF (pixbuf)' failed

(viewnior:2482): GdkPixbuf-CRITICAL **: 16:14:57.853:
gdk_pixbuf_get_n_channels: assertion 'GDK_IS_PIXBUF (pixbuf)' failed

(viewnior:2482): GdkPixbuf-CRITICAL **: 16:14:57.853:
gdk_pixbuf_get_pixels_with_length: assertion 'GDK_IS_PIXBUF (pixbuf)'
failed

(viewnior:2482): GdkPixbuf-CRITICAL **: 16:14:57.853:
gdk_pixbuf_get_rowstride: assertion 'GDK_IS_PIXBUF (pixbuf)' failed

(viewnior:2482): GdkPixbuf-CRITICAL **: 16:14:57.853:
gdk_pixbuf_get_n_channels: assertion 'GDK_IS_PIXBUF (pixbuf)' failed

(viewnior:2482): GdkPixbuf-CRITICAL **: 16:14:57.853:
gdk_pixbuf_get_pixels_with_length: assertion 'GDK_IS_PIXBUF (pixbuf)'
failed

(viewnior:2482): GdkPixbuf-CRITICAL **: 16:14:57.853:
gdk_pixbuf_get_rowstride: assertion 'GDK_IS_PIXBUF (pixbuf)' failed

(viewnior:2482): GdkPixbuf-CRITICAL **: 16:14:57.853:
gdk_pixbuf_get_n_channels: assertion 'GDK_IS_PIXBUF (pixbuf)' failed

(viewnior:2482): GdkPixbuf-CRITICAL **: 16:14:57.853:
gdk_pixbuf_get_pixels_with_length: assertion 'GDK_IS_PIXBUF (pixbuf)'
failed

(viewnior:2482): GdkPixbuf-CRITICAL **: 16:14:57.853:
gdk_pixbuf_get_rowstride: assertion 'GDK_IS_PIXBUF (pixbuf)' failed

(viewnior:2482): GdkPixbuf-CRITICAL **: 16:14:57.853:
gdk_pixbuf_get_width: assertion 'GDK_IS_PIXBUF (pixbuf)' failed

(viewnior:2482): GdkPixbuf-CRITICAL **: 16:14:57.853:
gdk_pixbuf_get_height: assertion 'GDK_IS_PIXBUF (pixbuf)' failed

(viewnior:2482): GdkPixbuf-CRITICAL **: 16:14:57.853:
gdk_pixbuf_get_width: assertion 'GDK_IS_PIXBUF (pixbuf)' failed

(viewnior:2482): GdkPixbuf-CRITICAL **: 16:14:57.853:
gdk_pixbuf_get_height: assertion 'GDK_IS_PIXBUF (pixbuf)' failed

** (viewnior:2482): WARNING **: 16:14:57.853: Invalid borders
specified for theme pixmap:
        /run/current-system/profile/share/themes/Adwaita-dark/gtk-2.0/assets/line.png,
borders don't fit within the image

(viewnior:2482): GdkPixbuf-CRITICAL **: 16:14:57.853:
gdk_pixbuf_get_n_channels: assertion 'GDK_IS_PIXBUF (pixbuf)' failed

(viewnior:2482): GdkPixbuf-CRITICAL **: 16:14:57.853:
gdk_pixbuf_get_pixels_with_length: assertion 'GDK_IS_PIXBUF (pixbuf)'
failed

(viewnior:2482): GdkPixbuf-CRITICAL **: 16:14:57.853:
gdk_pixbuf_get_rowstride: assertion 'GDK_IS_PIXBUF (pixbuf)' failed

(viewnior:2482): GdkPixbuf-CRITICAL **: 16:14:57.853:
gdk_pixbuf_get_n_channels: assertion 'GDK_IS_PIXBUF (pixbuf)' failed

(viewnior:2482): GdkPixbuf-CRITICAL **: 16:14:57.853:
gdk_pixbuf_get_pixels_with_length: assertion 'GDK_IS_PIXBUF (pixbuf)'
failed

(viewnior:2482): GdkPixbuf-CRITICAL **: 16:14:57.853:
gdk_pixbuf_get_rowstride: assertion 'GDK_IS_PIXBUF (pixbuf)' failed

(viewnior:2482): GdkPixbuf-CRITICAL **: 16:14:57.853:
gdk_pixbuf_get_n_channels: assertion 'GDK_IS_PIXBUF (pixbuf)' failed

(viewnior:2482): GdkPixbuf-CRITICAL **: 16:14:57.853:
gdk_pixbuf_get_pixels_with_length: assertion 'GDK_IS_PIXBUF (pixbuf)'
failed

(viewnior:2482): GdkPixbuf-CRITICAL **: 16:14:57.853:
gdk_pixbuf_get_rowstride: assertion 'GDK_IS_PIXBUF (pixbuf)' failed

(viewnior:2482): GdkPixbuf-CRITICAL **: 16:14:57.853:
gdk_pixbuf_get_n_channels: assertion 'GDK_IS_PIXBUF (pixbuf)' failed

(viewnior:2482): GdkPixbuf-CRITICAL **: 16:14:57.853:
gdk_pixbuf_get_pixels_with_length: assertion 'GDK_IS_PIXBUF (pixbuf)'
failed

(viewnior:2482): GdkPixbuf-CRITICAL **: 16:14:57.853:
gdk_pixbuf_get_rowstride: assertion 'GDK_IS_PIXBUF (pixbuf)' failed

(viewnior:2482): GdkPixbuf-CRITICAL **: 16:14:57.853:
gdk_pixbuf_get_n_channels: assertion 'GDK_IS_PIXBUF (pixbuf)' failed

(viewnior:2482): GdkPixbuf-CRITICAL **: 16:14:57.853:
gdk_pixbuf_get_pixels_with_length: assertion 'GDK_IS_PIXBUF (pixbuf)'
failed

(viewnior:2482): GdkPixbuf-CRITICAL **: 16:14:57.853:
gdk_pixbuf_get_rowstride: assertion 'GDK_IS_PIXBUF (pixbuf)' failed

(viewnior:2482): GdkPixbuf-CRITICAL **: 16:14:57.853:
gdk_pixbuf_get_n_channels: assertion 'GDK_IS_PIXBUF (pixbuf)' failed

(viewnior:2482): GdkPixbuf-CRITICAL **: 16:14:57.853:
gdk_pixbuf_get_pixels_with_length: assertion 'GDK_IS_PIXBUF (pixbuf)'
failed

(viewnior:2482): GdkPixbuf-CRITICAL **: 16:14:57.853:
gdk_pixbuf_get_rowstride: assertion 'GDK_IS_PIXBUF (pixbuf)' failed

(viewnior:2482): GdkPixbuf-CRITICAL **: 16:14:57.853:
gdk_pixbuf_get_n_channels: assertion 'GDK_IS_PIXBUF (pixbuf)' failed

(viewnior:2482): GdkPixbuf-CRITICAL **: 16:14:57.853:
gdk_pixbuf_get_pixels_with_length: assertion 'GDK_IS_PIXBUF (pixbuf)'
failed

(viewnior:2482): GdkPixbuf-CRITICAL **: 16:14:57.853:
gdk_pixbuf_get_rowstride: assertion 'GDK_IS_PIXBUF (pixbuf)' failed

(viewnior:2482): GdkPixbuf-CRITICAL **: 16:14:57.853:
gdk_pixbuf_get_n_channels: assertion 'GDK_IS_PIXBUF (pixbuf)' failed

(viewnior:2482): GdkPixbuf-CRITICAL **: 16:14:57.853:
gdk_pixbuf_get_pixels_with_length: assertion 'GDK_IS_PIXBUF (pixbuf)'
failed

(viewnior:2482): GdkPixbuf-CRITICAL **: 16:14:57.853:
gdk_pixbuf_get_rowstride: assertion 'GDK_IS_PIXBUF (pixbuf)' failed

(viewnior:2482): GdkPixbuf-CRITICAL **: 16:14:57.853:
gdk_pixbuf_get_n_channels: assertion 'GDK_IS_PIXBUF (pixbuf)' failed

(viewnior:2482): GdkPixbuf-CRITICAL **: 16:14:57.853:
gdk_pixbuf_get_pixels_with_length: assertion 'GDK_IS_PIXBUF (pixbuf)'
failed

(viewnior:2482): GdkPixbuf-CRITICAL **: 16:14:57.853:
gdk_pixbuf_get_rowstride: assertion 'GDK_IS_PIXBUF (pixbuf)' failed

(viewnior:2482): GdkPixbuf-CRITICAL **: 16:14:57.853:
gdk_pixbuf_get_width: assertion 'GDK_IS_PIXBUF (pixbuf)' failed

(viewnior:2482): GdkPixbuf-CRITICAL **: 16:14:57.853:
gdk_pixbuf_get_height: assertion 'GDK_IS_PIXBUF (pixbuf)' failed

On Thu, May 11, 2023 at 2:11 PM Liliana Marie Prikler
<[email-masked]> wrote:
>
> Am Donnerstag, dem 11.05.2023 um 10:05 +0200 schrieb Josselin Poiret:
> > Now, if we had packaged everything properly, all the applications you
> > mention should *propagate* gdk-pixbuf and not just list it as an
> > input
> No.  Propagated inputs are *never* the result of proper packaging.
> More often than not, they create more issues than they solve by
> reducing Guix to the capabilities of a dumb package manager.  While
> yes, they have been accepted as a solution to some issues (e.g. pkg-
> config not finding inputs), this by no means translates to "oh,
> something's not found, let's propagate an input".  However, even for
> those cases where they have become accepted practice, we ought to look
> for better solutions, as proliferating propagations do end up biting us
> in the form of conflicts.
>
> The only instance in which propagated inputs behave as intended is with
> meta packages; there they are even slightly less clunky than their
> alternative (union builds).
>
> As for the actual problem at hand, the solution has already been
> pointed out by Florian: wrapping commands to bind
> GDK_PIXBUF_MODULE_FILE.  Sadly, Florian didn't point these unwanted
> side effects of propagation, as contributors are often unaware of them.
>
> Cheers