Subject: Re: bug#63414: Evaluation comparison on cuirass

From: Josselin Poiret <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 May 2023 20:27:05 +0200

Hi Andreas,

Andreas Enge <[email-masked]> writes:

> When working on a branch and deciding whether to merge it, we need a way
> of comparing its status with that of the master branch. As far as I can see,
> there is currently no way in cuirass to compare arbitrary evaluations and
> get a list (or a dashboard) of builds that fail in one, but not the other.
>
> Andreas

I guess that this is one of the features that the Build Coordinator was
built for (and it is pretty damn good at this).  Maybe we could start
considering whether it makes sense to duplicate effort on Cuirass and
the Build Coordinator?  I don't know how "production-ready" the build
coordinator is, compared to Cuirass?  Maybe we could target getting the
Build Coordinator up to feature parity with Cuirass so that it may be
used on a wider scale?  If this is something we want to focus on, we
could create a team around it and set clear goals, which would probably
lessen the burden that's on Chris currently.

I understand that Cuirass is general enough to support much more than
Guix, but the coordinator is a wonderful piece of software and our
workflows might be outgrowing it.

WDYT?

-- 
Josselin Poiret