Subject: bug#63399: 28.2; Documentation for yes-or-no-p wrong/different between docstring and lispref

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 May 2023 19:44:24 +0300

> From: Tim Landscheidt <[email-masked]>
> Cc: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>,  [email-masked]
> Date: Wed, 10 May 2023 16:04:47 +0000
> 
> Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> >> > But there's no difference if the prompt ends in a space.
> 
> >> Yes. It is just a convenience change, and there's code in the wild which
> >> doesn't use a trailing space in the propmpt, when calling
> >> yes-or-no-p. What would be wrong with my patch? I don't see that it
> >> hurts.
> 
> > I'm sure something will come up.  It isn't an accident that we have
> > danced around this more than once in the past.
> 
> > But if you insist, please install on master, and let's see whose gray
> > hair is more right...
> 
> I support Michael's idea here.

Of course you do.  And I won't argue, I will just say that you don't
have enough gray hair in Emacs development.  Time and again I see us
willing to fix some minuscule issue, and as result introduce subtle
problems and regressions which are frequently worse than the original
issue.  I suspect this is one of those cases.  But I'm willing to
consider the possibility that perhaps this time I will be wrong (yeah,
right).