Subject: bug#63390: closed (Re: bug#63390: 29.0.90; c-ts-mode fails to recognize functions in xterm.c)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Fri, 19 May 2023 23:14:02 +0000

Your bug report

#63390: 29.0.90; c-ts-mode fails to recognize functions in xterm.c

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
63390: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=63390
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#63390: 29.0.90; c-ts-mode fails to recognize functions in xterm.c
From: Yuan Fu <[email-masked]>
To: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 19 May 2023 16:13:36 -0700
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

> On May 17, 2023, at 11:56 PM, Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
>> From: Yuan Fu <[email-masked]>
>> Date: Wed, 17 May 2023 23:19:22 -0700
>> Cc: [email-masked]
>> 
>>>> Ok, so that’s because there are ifdef’s inside the function, which cuts the function into pieces and tree-sitter can’t make out a function_definition, which is what we use to fontify the function name. A function_declarator alone can be used in many places, like in an argument list for function pointers, I think?
>>> 
>>> Does this mean that on master movement by defuns will be broken around
>>> those functions?
>> 
>> Yeah, unfortunately, I’ll try accommodate for it. 
>> 
>>> 
>>>> I can fix this by fontifying top-level function_declaration, I think a top-level function_declaration should always be a function definition?
>>> 
>>> Yes, I think this would be better.
>>> 
>>>>>> Btw, function declarations in a header file are recognized as such,
>>>>>> but the names of the functions there are still correctly fontified.
>>>> 
>>>> They are fine because there’s a semicolon in the end, so the function_decalration is wrapped in a declaration node, which we (the fontification rules) recognize.
>>> 
>>> Thanks for explaining this.
>> 
>> Should I fix this on emacs-29 or master? Sorry for the delay, I was having some distractions lately ;-)
> 
> No need to apologize.  We all have our lives, with their "disasters".
> 
> If the fix is relatively simple and safe, I'd prefer this to be fixed
> on emacs-29.  But if not, we can fix it later; after all, on emacs-29
> this is a relatively rare issue, since we don't use tree-sitter for
> movement by defuns there.
> 
> Thanks.

I pushed a fix for it to emacs-29.

Yuan

Subject: 29.0.90; c-ts-mode fails to recognize functions in xterm.c
From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 09 May 2023 15:03:08 +0300
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

To reproduce:

  emacs -Q
  M-x load-library RET c-ts-mode RET
  C-x C-f src/xterm.c
  C-u 8290 M-g g

Observe that the name of the function x_draw_glyph_string_foreground
is not fontified in font-lock-function-name-face, but in the default
face.

Starting treesit-explore-mode seems to indicate that tree-sitter
interprets this as a function declaration, not a function definition:

  (function_declarator declarator: (identifier)
   parameters: 
    (parameter_list (
     (parameter_declaration
      type: (struct_specifier struct name: (type_identifier))
      declarator: (pointer_declarator * declarator: (identifier)))
     )))

Same with the next function, x_draw_composite_glyph_string_foreground.
But the function after that, x_draw_glyphless_glyph_string_foreground,
is again recognized as function definition.  I wonder if the
preprocessor conditionals around there have something to do with that.

Btw, function declarations in a header file are recognized as such,
but the names of the functions there are still correctly fontified.

In GNU Emacs 29.0.90 (build 88, i686-pc-mingw32) of 2023-05-09 built on
 HOME-C4E4A596F7
Repository revision: 387ddc0ccc1b21f612b9106bafec63170ede30e6
Repository branch: emacs-29
Windowing system distributor 'Microsoft Corp.', version 5.1.2600
System Description: Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 3 (v5.1.0.2600)

Configured using:
 'configure -C --prefix=/d/usr --with-wide-int
 --enable-checking=yes,glyphs 'CFLAGS=-O0 -gdwarf-4 -g3''

Configured features:
ACL GIF GMP GNUTLS HARFBUZZ JPEG JSON LCMS2 LIBXML2 MODULES NOTIFY
W32NOTIFY PDUMPER PNG RSVG SOUND SQLITE3 THREADS TIFF
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS TREE_SITTER WEBP XPM ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: ENU
  locale-coding-system: cp1255

Major mode: C/*

Minor modes in effect:
  bug-reference-prog-mode: t
  treesit-explore-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  indent-tabs-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message mailcap yank-media puny dired
dired-loaddefs rfc822 mml mml-sec password-cache epa derived epg rfc6068
epg-config gnus-util text-property-search time-date subr-x mm-decode
mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader
sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils vc-git
diff-mode easy-mmode vc-dispatcher bug-reference byte-opt gv bytecomp
byte-compile c-ts-mode c-ts-common treesit cl-seq thingatpt cl-loaddefs
cl-lib find-func rmc iso-transl tooltip cconv eldoc paren electric
uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel dos-w32
ls-lisp disp-table term/w32-win w32-win w32-vars term/common-win
tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace
newcomment text-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar
rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock
font-lock syntax font-core term/tty-colors frame minibuffer nadvice seq
simple cl-generic indonesian philippine cham georgian utf-8-lang
misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms
cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian
cyrillic chinese composite emoji-zwj charscript charprop case-table
epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure cl-preloaded button
loaddefs theme-loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files window
text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule
custom widget keymap hashtable-print-readable backquote threads
w32notify w32 lcms2 multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 97345 9002)
 (symbols 48 7923 0)
 (strings 16 22587 2046)
 (string-bytes 1 609997)
 (vectors 16 12738)
 (vector-slots 8 179418 12186)
 (floats 8 31 52)
 (intervals 40 6159 809)
 (buffers 888 12))