Subject: Re: bug#6339: url-filename => "/c:/some/file.txt"

From: Lennart Borgman <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2011 01:15:38 +0200

On Thu, Sep 22, 2011 at 00:59, Juanma Barranquero <[email-masked]> wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 22, 2011 at 00:51, Lennart Borgman
> <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
>> Of course the behaviour must be fixed too. I meant to write that it is
>> ok that url-filename returns a system-dependent absolute file name
>> (for local files).
>
> When you do (url-filename (url-generic-parse-url "file:///SOMEPATH"))
> you are not checking SOMEPATH against the local filesystem (the path
> does not need to exist, for example). So, when you say
> "system-dependant" and "local files", what you're really saying is
> that SOMEPATH should be analyzed to see whether it is POSIX-style, or
> Windows-style, or whatever, to "fix it" or "leave it alone" according
> to the detected style.

The analysis of "file:///SOMEPATH" should probably be system
independent (since it is an URL that is analysed).

But the return value should be system dependant since it is supposed
to be a local file system absolute path.