Subject: bug#6339: url-filename => "/c:/some/file.txt"

From: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 06 Oct 2011 17:08:58 -0400

>> But the patch you sent changes url-generic-parse-url so it presumably
>> can affect many more places that just those that call url-filename.
> url-generic-parse-url returns a url struct, and url-filename is the
> accessor for the slot. If there's code that uses the slot without
> going through the accessor, well... I think that's a bug (or, at the
> very least, dangerous and ugly) and sooner or later we'll find
> about it.

Sorry, yes, the above paragraph was written before I remembered that
url-filename was an accessor.  I just forgot to erase it before sending.

>> I think it's the right thing to do.  But maybe the best patch will need
>> to rename the `filename' slot and to define url-filename to do the
>> (expand-file-name (url-somethingelse URL) "/") or something like that.
> I don't think you can do that, because, as explained before in the
> thread, splitting the URL and using its parts are independent actions.
> It is entirely possible to split a file URL and then use it in
> different systems, isn't it?

Let's not talk about that for now.  Once there's a working patch
there'll be less chance for confusion.

        Stefan