Subject: Re: bug#6339: url-filename => "/c:/some/file.txt"

From: Lennart Borgman <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 Oct 2011 17:08:38 +0200

On Thu, Oct 6, 2011 at 16:38, Jason Rumney <[email-masked]> wrote:
> Juanma Barranquero <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> On Thu, Oct 6, 2011 at 16:24, Jason Rumney <[email-masked]> wrote:
>>
>>> This is a general url-parsing function, changing this to not return
>>> the leading / on the file portion of the url will break every other user
>>> of this function.
>>
>> Only the ones that incorrectly assume that the slash is part of the
>> path. The ones that use expand-file-name, as Kevin pointed out, will
>> continue to work.
>
> It is incorrect to assume that the slash is NOT part of the file portion
> of the URL, when actual usage in http, ftp, gopher and file URLs on
> platforms other than Windows and VMS relies on the leading slash being
> preserved.

Didn't we conclude before that the URL style file part does not
include the leading "/"? Or was there any objection to this?

AFAICS the URL style file part simply does not have the same (as *nix
systems) file syntax. So I agree with Juanma here (which is not too
common ;-).