Subject: bug#63366: closed (Re: bug#63366: Docs: Revise or delete reference to “benevolent dictators”in Manual Introduction)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2024 10:14:02 +0000

Your bug report

#63366: Docs: Revise or delete reference to “benevolent dictators” in Manual Introduction

which was filed against the guile package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
63366: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=63366
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#63366: Docs: Revise or delete reference to“benevolent dictators” in Manual Introduction
From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
To: Sebastian Carlos <[email-masked]>
Cc: "Dr. Arne Babenhauserheide" <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2024 11:13:19 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hi,

Sebastian Carlos <[email-masked]> skribis:

> My suggestion is to delete the sentence altogether. I think the paragraph
> still makes sense without it, as the reader gets enough information to
> understand how Scheme differs from other programming languages.

I’ve (finally) removed that sentence.  Thanks!

Ludo’.

Subject: Docs: Revise or delete reference to “benevolent dictators” in Manual Introduction
From: Sebastian Carlos <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 8 May 2023 10:22:23 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hello,

I would like to suggest a change to the second paragraph of the Guile
Manual’s
Introduction, which currently says “Unlike, for example, Python or Perl,
Scheme
has no benevolent dictator.”

This phrase, while it may be accurate in spirit, may be misleading or
outdated,
as the examples given do not reflect the current governance models of those
languages:

- Perl is overseen by the Perl Steering Council, which also states that
Larry
  Wall has not been involved in Perl for about two decades
  (https://blogs.perl.org/users/psc/2022/05/what-happened-to-perl-7.html)
- Python is managed by the Python Steering Council, which Guido van Rossum
  withdrew from in 2020 and has not rejoined since
  (
https://discuss.python.org/t/steering-council-nomination-guido-van-rossum-2020-term/2657/11
)

Thank you for your time.