Subject: Re: bug#63365: 30.0.50; GCC 13.1 breaks building Emacs with native-compilation

From: Arash Esbati <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 08 Jun 2023 12:21:11 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

> Did you say that the problem goes away if you configure without
> native-compilation?

Yes, no problems when --without-native-compilation is passed to
configure.

> If so, let's wait for Andrea to fix the problems with that on master,
> and try again.

I tried the latest master (a902156068), and the issue remains.

> Or did you also see similar problems on the emacs-29 branch?

Yes, issue remains with 0eba9cf651.

> If this is not related to native-compilation, my first suspect is GCC
> optimizations.  Try building with -Og or -O1, and see if that avoids
> the problem.

I will try the ideas above and report back.

> Or just downgrade to GCC 12 and wait for the GCC folks to get their
> act together.  (IME, using GCC version N.1 is not recommended if you
> want to make sure your development environment remains stable.  This
> is especially true for platforms like MS-Windows, which are not the
> main target for GCC development.)

It seams that downgrading to GCC 12 is the way.  Upgrading from GCC 11
to 12 went really smooth, so I didn't expect this kind of issues.  I
hope that someone more knowledgeable than me could report this to the
GCC folks so they can have a look at it.

Best, Arash