Subject: Re: bug#63365: 30.0.50; GCC 13.1 breaks building Emacs with native-compilation

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 28 May 2023 09:55:38 +0300

> From: Arash Esbati <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked],  [email-masked]
> Date: Sat, 27 May 2023 19:35:12 +0200
> 
> Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
> > Yes, please.
> 
> So these are the addresses I get for apropos.el:
> 
> --8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
> '../src/emacs.exe' -batch --no-site-file --no-site-lisp \
> --eval "(setq load-prefer-newer t byte-compile-warnings 'all)" \
> --eval "(setq org--inhibit-version-check t)"  \
> -l comp -f batch-byte+native-compile apropos.el

Thanks.  It is a very strange crash, to say the least: we seem to
crash because we access an array out of its bounds or something.

Did you say that the problem goes away if you configure without
native-compilation?  If so, let's wait for Andrea to fix the problems
with that on master, and try again.

Or did you also see similar problems on the emacs-29 branch?

If this is not related to native-compilation, my first suspect is GCC
optimizations.  Try building with -Og or -O1, and see if that avoids
the problem.  Or just downgrade to GCC 12 and wait for the GCC folks
to get their act together.  (IME, using GCC version N.1 is not
recommended if you want to make sure your development environment
remains stable.  This is especially true for platforms like
MS-Windows, which are not the main target for GCC development.)