Subject: Re: bug#6334: 24.0.50; both examples in (elisp) Defining Minor Modes raise an error

From: Štěpán Němec <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2010 19:00:15 +0200

Juanma Barranquero <[email-masked]> writes:

> On Tue, Jul 27, 2010 at 13:26, Štěpán Němec <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
>> I'm not sure if you intended to preserve the key binding, let me just
>> point out that ^? (which was in the original example) is (ASCII) DEL,
>> i.e. usually [backspace], not [delete] on (modern?) text terminals.
>
> The docstring for the sample minor mode says "the control delete key",
> and my DEL key returns delete. If there's a more apropriate key
> binding that does not reproduce the bug, it's fine by me.

That'd be [C-backspace], if you're using the vector notation. Note we're
talking about the DEL _character_, not the key labeled Del(ete). It's
the Backspace key that usually sends DEL in the terminal (also note that
the example speaks about deleting all _preceding_ whitespace). I suspect
"the control delete key" wording comes from times when the keyboards
were somewhat different from those of today.

But it's only an example, so all this perhaps doesn't matter. I just
thought I'd mention the semantic shift introduced by the change, sorry.

  Štěpán