Subject: bug#63331: closed (Re: bug#63331: Guile-GnuTLS/Git circular dependency)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2023 14:45:03 +0000

Your bug report

#63331: Guile-GnuTLS/Git circular dependency

which was filed against the guix package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
63331: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=63331
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#63331: Guile-GnuTLS/Git circular dependency
From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: Simon Josefsson <[email-masked]>, Vivien Kraus <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2023 16:44:21 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]> skribis:

> Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]> skribis:
>
>> The longer-term solution is to add a “builtin:git-download” derivation
>> builder, just like we have “builtin:download”.  The implementation
>> should be relatively easy, but we’ll have to be able to deal with
>> daemons that lack this builtin possibly for several years.
>
> Patch available!
>
>   https://issues.guix.gnu.org/65866

This was applied in the meantime.  Closing!

Subject: Guile-GnuTLS/Git circular dependency
From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 06 May 2023 19:20:41 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hi,

‘git-download’ needs to depend on guile-gnutls to implement its fallback
mechanism (downloading from mirrors or from SWH over HTTPS).  Commit
c625e5b64d0a6cb7ffbf2ef971d4c990b1f5c5c1 restored this.  However, it
also introduced a circular dependency: the origin of guile-gnutls relies
on 'git-download', which would now depend on guile-gnutls.  Thus, I
reverted it right away.

We need to solve that.  For now, the only fix I can think of is having
‘guile-gnutls’ built from a “make dist”-provided tarballs.  Apparently
we can add assets at <https://gitlab.com/gnutls/guile/-/tags>; would you
like to upload a tarball and accompanying signature, Simon?

Unfortunately, that means doing away with all the packaging work by
Vivien, in particular proper bootstrapping with Gnulib.

The longer-term solution is to add a “builtin:git-download” derivation
builder, just like we have “builtin:download”.  The implementation
should be relatively easy, but we’ll have to be able to deal with
daemons that lack this builtin possibly for several years.

Thoughts?

Ludo’.