Subject: bug#63331: Guile-GnuTLS/Git circular dependency

From: Vivien Kraus <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 09 May 2023 17:19:05 +0200

Le mardi 09 mai 2023 à 14:23 +0200, Simon Josefsson a écrit :
> A GitLab CI/CD build check on Guix would be nice, does anyone publish
> docker images for a Guix system?

The guix builder uses linux tools to provide an isolated build
environment. It is possible to run the guix build daemon without this
protection, so as to run it within a docker container, but build
scripts may behave incorrectly if they run outside of the sandbox. They
could see libraries that they should not be able to see and by that
configure incorrectly, or install things where they should not. Guix
packagers do not usually care if a build script writes files outside of
its correct store directory, because of the isolation provided by the
daemon. Such problems are thus hard to detect, and broken packages
could be anywhere. This is mostly a hypothetical issue, but opam (for
ocaml) warns about build scripts doing unpredictable things:

https://opam.ocaml.org/doc/FAQ.html#Why-does-opam-require-bwrap

Aside from that, guix is painfully slow in a container, and uses a lot
of disk space.

Vivien