Subject: bug#63312: closed (Re: bug#63312: 29.0.90; set-frame-parameter sometimes called with dead frame when quitting ediff)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Sat, 06 May 2023 12:03:02 +0000

Your bug report

#63312: 29.0.90; set-frame-parameter sometimes called with dead frame when quitting ediff

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
63312: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=63312
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#63312: 29.0.90; set-frame-parameter sometimes called with dead frame when quitting ediff
From: Po Lu <[email-masked]>
To: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 06 May 2023 20:01:53 +0800
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

>> From: Po Lu <[email-masked]>
>> Cc: Tobias Bading <[email-masked]>,  [email-masked]
>> Date: Sat, 06 May 2023 19:12:51 +0800
>> 
>> Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:
>> 
>> > Not really, because there could be other functions on the hook
>> > variable, which do deal well with a dead frame.
>> >
>> > Po Lu, any objections to installing my proposed change?
>> 
>> Please install on emacs-29, thanks.  This hook should not be called with
>> a dead frame though, and Martin proposed a fix for that which was
>> installed last year, so I will continue to investigate on master.
>
> Done.  Should I close this bug now, or do you want it to stay open?

I've just closed it, since what remains to be fixed is really another
problem.  Thanks.

Subject: 29.0.90; set-frame-parameter sometimes called with dead frame when quitting ediff
From: Tobias Bading <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 5 May 2023 19:02:10 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

1. emacs -Q

2. Open a file under version control, e.g. lisp/vc/ediff-util.el

3. Selecting some text with the mouse seems to increase the chance of the
   error occurring, maybe even select some text in another application

4. M-x ediff-revision RET RET RET RET

5. q RET

Sometimes this results in error

set-frame-parameter: Wrong type argument: frame-live-p, #<dead frame Ediff 0x560ee1b46200>

With

(trace-function-background 'set-frame-parameter)
(trace-function-background 'x-dnd-after-move-frame)
(trace-function-background 'handle-move-frame)

prior to quitting ediff, the error is logged as

1 -> (handle-move-frame (move-frame (#<dead frame Ediff 0x5643a7425888>)))
| 2 -> (x-dnd-after-move-frame #<dead frame Ediff 0x5643a7425888>)
| | 3 -> (set-frame-parameter #<dead frame Ediff 0x5643a7425888> dnd-root-window-position nil)
| | 3 <- set-frame-parameter: !non-local\ exit!
| 2 <- x-dnd-after-move-frame: !non-local\ exit!
1 <- handle-move-frame: !non-local\ exit!

---

In GNU Emacs 29.0.90 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version
 3.24.20, cairo version 1.16.0) of 2023-05-05 built on omega
Repository revision: 21ec6c1d5cc7b6e1858f21de62a593e25d205383
Repository branch: emacs-29
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12013000
System Description: Ubuntu 20.04.6 LTS

Configured using:
 'configure --with-modules --with-imagemagick --without-tree-sitter'

Configured features:
ACL CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GPM GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ
IMAGEMAGICK JPEG JSON LCMS2 LIBOTF LIBSELINUX LIBSYSTEMD LIBXML2
M17N_FLT MODULES NOTIFY INOTIFY PDUMPER PNG RSVG SECCOMP SOUND SQLITE3
THREADS TIFF TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS WEBP X11 XDBE XIM XINPUT2 XPM GTK3 ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LC_COLLATE: C.UTF-8
  value of $LC_MONETARY: de_DE.UTF-8
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: de_DE.UTF-8
  value of $LC_TIME: de_DE.UTF-8
  value of $LANG: C.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Messages

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  line-number-mode: t
  indent-tabs-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message mailcap yank-media puny dired
dired-loaddefs rfc822 mml mml-sec password-cache epa derived epg rfc6068
epg-config gnus-util text-property-search mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode
mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047
rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils time-date subr-x vc
ediff-vers ediff ediff-merg ediff-mult ediff-wind ediff-diff ediff-help
ediff-init ediff-util vc-git diff-mode easy-mmode cl-loaddefs cl-lib
vc-dispatcher vc-svn bug-reference byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile rmc
iso-transl tooltip cconv eldoc paren electric uniquify ediff-hook
vc-hooks lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel term/x-win x-win
term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe
tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register
page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu timer select
scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax font-core term/tty-colors
frame minibuffer nadvice seq simple cl-generic indonesian philippine
cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao
korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech
european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese composite emoji-zwj charscript
charprop case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure
cl-preloaded button loaddefs theme-loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp
files window text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env
code-pages mule custom widget keymap hashtable-print-readable backquote
threads dbusbind inotify lcms2 dynamic-setting system-font-setting
font-render-setting cairo move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit xinput2 x multi-tty
make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 58114 7770)
 (symbols 48 7445 0)
 (strings 32 20878 2062)
 (string-bytes 1 638147)
 (vectors 16 14015)
 (vector-slots 8 199200 12038)
 (floats 8 45 80)
 (intervals 56 467 0)
 (buffers 976 13))