Subject: Re: bug#63311: 30.0.50; [PATCH] smtpmail-send-it split

From: Manuel Giraud <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 02 Nov 2023 11:44:40 +0100

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

[...]

> I think when messages are sent in the background, there should be a
> different series of messages: one at the beginning, when the thread is
> launched, and one when the thread exits.  Both of these should be
> output by the main thread, not the thread which sends.

I think this is feasible for the message when the thread is launch but
not for the final message: the main-thread would have to 'thread-join'
on the sending thread and we'll lose the asynchronous behaviour, no?

> The sending progress messages will not be shown, since they are mostly
> useless anyway (if the user wants the sending to be in the background,
> it generally means he/she doesn't care much about the progress, since
> Emacs is not waiting for the sending to complete).  If we need more
> detailed messages in some cases, we could have a special buffer which
> the user could then view if needed.

Ok.

[...]

> Right, thanks.
>
> When this is available, I will probably become a heavy user of this
> feature.  It should probably be an opt-in feature initially, so as to
> let people try it without disrupting their production workflows too
> much.

Yes, I think it should be opt-in.  But such an option will also have
ramifications in message.el, Gnus and surely more that I don't even know
about. (BTW, do you have an idea for a name for such option?)
-- 
Manuel Giraud