Subject: bug#63302: 29.0.90; Native comp does not respect byte-compile-warnings

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 05 May 2023 16:22:46 +0300

> From: Jimmy Yuen Ho Wong <[email-masked]>
> Date: Fri, 05 May 2023 12:51:47 +0100
> 
> 
> `byte-compile-warnings` is commonly set to to remove `docstring` so
> spurious `docstring wider than 80 characters` are removed.  When it is
> set to such a way, normal byte compilation of a el file with a docstring
> longer than 80 characters will not result in the above warning, but
> natively compiling the same file will.
> 
> The expectation should be that nativecomp respects this variable at the
> very least, or that the linting capabilities is moved out of byte
> compilation into a seperate package ala elisp-lint. A compiler should
> compile any program that is valid without producing any warnings except
> obsolete/deprecations.

Please show a recipe for reproducing this warning from native
compilation.

I suspect that you are talking about JIT native-compilation, which
happens in a separate Emacs process, in which case we need a way of
injecting settings into that separate process to suppress warnings
selectively, or for doing any other similar jobs.  Seeing a recipe for
reproducing this will confirm or contradict my guess.

Andrea, any comments?